• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Cleon

Legend
SF (Craft) is fine.

Updating the Working Draft.

The original emezon text says they don't usually wear armor!

Hmm...

Emezons normally do not wear armor, except for a leather apron (AC 7) at mealtimes
Or rare occasions, emezons may be found with their amazon mistresses, acting as guards. They are then similarly armored and armed.
Considering how often the text refers to food-preparation, I suspect emezons might spend a lot of their day at "mealtimes", during which they wear armour the description says is equivalent to studded leather (AC 7).

Furthermore, the emezon stat block has "ARMOR CLASS: 8", which is the same as leather armour. The most plausible explanations are either an emezon has a +2 bonus from Dex or NA and the "apron" adds another +1 to that (i.e. it's equivalent to padded armour), or the AC 7 is an error and they wear the equivalent of leather armour.

There's some miscommunication between the emezon and amazon original monster writeups somehow. I think I'd rather modify the amazon org and base the emezon one on that, maybe modified since most of them are sitting in the camp.

I quite like the Amazon organisation as-is, and would prefer giving the Emezon their own organisation line. Amazon tribes might not all have emezon menfolk, some could have "normal" humanoids of their species.

Still, I'd consider a modified organisation if you would care to lay one out.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I find it odd that a leather apron would grant even as much AC as leather armor, let alone studded leather. :erm:

I'd rather just leave 'em unarmored, except in the rare instances they serve as guards. They are supposed to be pathetic, after all.

Cleon

Legend
I find it odd that a leather apron would grant even as much AC as leather armor, let alone studded leather. :erm:

I'd rather just leave 'em unarmored, except in the rare instances they serve as guards. They are supposed to be pathetic, after all.

I prefer giving them the armour bonus, since they have AC 8 in the original.

It'd be easy enough to think of justifications for them wearing light armour but not being warrior. Apart from protecting an emezon from kitchen and food hall accidents.

Hmm, now what possible noncombat reason could dominating women have for dressing their menfolk up in leather...

:eek:

You know, amazons might just be kinky.

:blush:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
If we're going to give them an armor bonus from an apron, I'd think +1 like padded armor makes more sense. It's not going to cover as well as leather armor, plus I doubt it will be made as well.

If you want to keep the amazon org unchanged with male warriors, then it probably shouldn't say that they're emezons (or else we should reduce the numbers, as emezon warriors are rare). I'm also not too comfortable listing "emezon clerics, adepts, or wizards" until we figure out what a zee chef is. I don't think emezons are likely to advance a whole lot in casting classes otherwise. For the emezon org, I'd think it would be best to expand on the clan bit of the amazon org line (as that's how most emezons will be found).

Here is what we have for the amazon org, by the way, for easier reference:

Organization: Solitary, party (10-20 plus 1 leader of 5th-6th level, and 1 emezon cleric, adept or wizard of 2nd-4th level), party (20-50 plus 1-4 leaders of 5th-6th level, 1 captain of 7th-8th level, and 1-4 emezon clerics, adepts or wizards of 2nd-4th level) or clan (30-100 plus 4-8 leaders of 5th-6th level, 1 captain of 7th-8th level, 1 queen of 9th-12th level, 30-100 emezon 1st level warriors, 60-200 noncombatants, 2-5 emezon clerics, adepts or wizards of 2nd-4th level, and 1 emezon cleric or wizard of 4th-8th level).

Cleon

Legend
If we're going to give them an armor bonus from an apron, I'd think +1 like padded armor makes more sense. It's not going to cover as well as leather armor, plus I doubt it will be made as well.

I prefer leather armour, but I 'd be willing to go along with padded if Shade prefers it too.

If you want to keep the amazon org unchanged with male warriors, then it probably shouldn't say that they're emezons (or else we should reduce the numbers, as emezon warriors are rare). I'm also not too comfortable listing "emezon clerics, adepts, or wizards" until we figure out what a zee chef is. I don't think emezons are likely to advance a whole lot in casting classes otherwise. For the emezon org, I'd think it would be best to expand on the clan bit of the amazon org line (as that's how most emezons will be found).

Here is what we have for the amazon org, by the way, for easier reference:

Organization: Solitary, party (10-20 plus 1 leader of 5th-6th level, and 1 emezon cleric, adept or wizard of 2nd-4th level), party (20-50 plus 1-4 leaders of 5th-6th level, 1 captain of 7th-8th level, and 1-4 emezon clerics, adepts or wizards of 2nd-4th level) or clan (30-100 plus 4-8 leaders of 5th-6th level, 1 captain of 7th-8th level, 1 queen of 9th-12th level, 30-100 emezon 1st level warriors, 60-200 noncombatants, 2-5 emezon clerics, adepts or wizards of 2nd-4th level, and 1 emezon cleric or wizard of 4th-8th level).

So, what organization are you proposing for the Amazon? Just swap "male humanoid" for "emezon"?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think I'd like to finish the emezon and zee chef first and then revisit the org for both. I guess they shouldn't have identical orgs, but they should be consistent.

Remove ads