• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Monsters from Polyhedron Magazine

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Oh, great monster collector [MENTION=9849]Echohawk[/MENTION], might you have the Zee Chef stats from Polyhedron #22?
Ah yes. I have been half expecting this question since originally posting the emezon's entry many moons ago :devil:

The article "Zee Chef" (it's in Poly #23, not #22) is a four and a half page article presenting a new class -- the chef. It includes a variety of chef spells, such as create condiments, magic jam, transmute stone to jelly beans, explosive prunes and cocoademon*.

The class write-up concludes with a series of sample recipes, such as "griffon quiche supreme" and "troll steak a la tartar". I don't think it is an article intended to be taken particularly seriously.

* This might actually count as an unconverted creature, since the spell does include rudimentary stats for the chocolatey demon.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Ah yes. I have been half expecting this question since originally posting the emezon's entry many moons ago :devil:

The article "Zee Chef" (it's in Poly #23, not #22) is a four and a half page article presenting a new class -- the chef. It includes a variety of chef spells, such as create condiments, magic jam, transmute stone to jelly beans, explosive prunes and cocoademon*.

The class write-up concludes with a series of sample recipes, such as "griffon quiche supreme" and "troll steak a la tartar". I don't think it is an article intended to be taken particularly seriously.

* This might actually count as an unconverted creature, since the spell does include rudimentary stats for the chocolatey demon.

Oh no, a multi-page joke monster w/prestige class fodder! :eek:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
More like a multi-page joke class with a monster embedded inside one of the spells.

The emezon entry is really a separate article by a different author, which has a passing reference to the preceding "Zee Chef" article likely added at the editing stage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
More like a multi-page joke class with a monster embedded inside one of the spells.

The emezon entry is really a separate article by a different author, which has a passing reference to the preceding "Zee Chef" article likely added at the editing stage.

In that case, I strongly recommend we divorce the emezon from "Zee Chef" and move on. I have less than zero interest in converting the jokey chef class.

I have a wee bit of interest in converting the cocoademon, though. ;)

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Cocoademon (Conjuration/Summoning)

Level: 4
Range: 1"
Duration: Permanent until dispelled
Area of spell: Special
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 3 hours
Saving Throw: None

Explanation/Description: With this spell, the chef creates a 10" tall demon-like creature made of chocolate, which can obey simple instructions from its creator (such as carrying light objects, stealing a small item, sounding an alarm in case of an unexpected visit, etc.). The cocoademon is of low intelligence and, though loyal to its creator, it likes practical jokes and causing mischief (but hates hot temperatures). It has 1 hp per level of the caster and an armor class of 10. The material component is 3 pounds of chocolate.

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, I don't really fancy making an entire new class for the Chef. We could just say their clerics have access to a new "Culinary" domain, something like:

Culinary Domain
Any conjuration (creation) spell used to create food or drink will have the number of creatures it can nourish increased by one-half.

Culinary Domain Spells
1 goodberry
2 aid
3 create food and water
4 cacaodaemon
5 fabricate*
6 heroes' feast
7 true creation*
8 mage's magnificent mansion
9 iron body
* These spells can only create food and drink.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmm, I don't really fancy making an entire new class for the Chef. We could just say their clerics have access to a new "Culinary" domain, something like:

Culinary Domain
Any conjuration (creation) spell used to create food or drink will have the number of creatures it can nourish increased by one-half.

Culinary Domain Spells
1 goodberry
2 aid
3 create food and water
4 cacaodaemon
5 fabricate*
6 heroes' feast
7 true creation*
8 mage's magnificent mansion
9 iron body
* These spells can only create food and drink.

Great idea! This approach appeals.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads