Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Skills, spells, and feats should be fine.

Let's go with Any land or space for the environment.

Thoughts on the org?

Cleon

Legend
Skills, spells, and feats should be fine.

Let's go with Any land or space for the environment.

Well they don't actually live floating around in space, do they. I thought they mainly travel through space and had settlements on planets or habitable asteroids..

Well the Lords of Madness Neogi has "warm marshes", but that don't seem right.

How about "Any temperate or warm land and underground" like the Neogi's 3E debut in Monster Manual II?

Thoughts on the org?

There's "Most encountered undead old masters will have a bodyguard of 3d4+1 umber hulks" and "exist only to gather slaves", so they ought to have some minions.

Oh, and I just noticed something - "They turn as “Special”, and cannot be disrupted".

Shall we use that?

Give them a SQ that turn undead can turn 'em but not destroy them?

Cleon

Legend
Oh, and I just noticed something - "They turn as “Special”, and cannot be disrupted".

Shall we use that?

Give them a SQ that turn undead can turn 'em but not destroy them?

Oh, and "special" is as high as the turn undead table goes in AD&D, suggesting we should give 'em turn resistance as well.

freyar

Suggested environment is fine.

+6 turn resistance? Do you think that makes them tough enough to destroy? I don't necessarily object to the "no destroying" SQ you propose, but I don't know if this is something other undead in AD&D got often that is dropped in 3.X.

Cleon

Legend
Suggested environment is fine.

+6 turn resistance? Do you think that makes them tough enough to destroy? I don't necessarily object to the "no destroying" SQ you propose, but I don't know if this is something other undead in AD&D got often that is dropped in 3.X.

Offhand, I can't recall any other AD&D undead with exactly that ability. There are some that are completely immune to turning, but not many with a "partial immunity."

The closest I can think of is the Zombie Raft, which ignored normal turning results but breaks apart on a "destroyed" result.

However, the Zombie Raft doesn't have a 3E conversion.
...yet. :cool:

freyar

Zombie Rafts sound fun! :p

OK, I think that argues for the "partial immunity" of no destruction, since it's a unique ability and there's no precedent for dropping it. How would that read? Something like this?

Resilient Undead (Su): Undead Old Masters are difficult to turn. They have +6 turn resistance and cannot be destroyed by uses of turn undead.

Cleon

Legend
Zombie Rafts sound fun! :p

Yes, I've been thinking of doing them on our Dragon conversion thread.

OK, I think that argues for the "partial immunity" of no destruction, since it's a unique ability and there's no precedent for dropping it. How would that read? Something like this?

Resilient Undead (Su): Undead Old Masters are difficult to turn. They have +6 turn resistance and cannot be destroyed by uses of turn undead.

That approach seems OK, although I'm wondering whether +6 turn resistance may be too high.

freyar

Resilient Undead (Su): Undead Old Masters are difficult to turn. They have +4 turn resistance and cannot be destroyed by uses of turn undead.

Organization: 1 undead old master, 1-13 umber hulk bodyguards, and 5-50 slaves of various species
?

Remove ads