D&D 5E DM imposed restrictions to the game (+)

What things do you restrict when running a D&D game?

• Nothing. Anything and everything goes.

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Some books (official)

Votes: 69 57.5%
  • Some matieral (non-official 3PP)

Votes: 93 77.5%
  • Some races

Votes: 79 65.8%
  • Some classes

Votes: 45 37.5%
  • Some subclasses

Votes: 59 49.2%
  • Some features

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Some magical items

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • Some non-magical items

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • Some rules

Votes: 49 40.8%
  • No (or restricted) feats

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • No (or restricted) mulitclassing

Votes: 29 24.2%
  • No backgrounds

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Some alignments

Votes: 23 19.2%

Hey I can vote now! I don't allow CN, CE, or NE, although I might be talked around (although that's more likely to be what you're calling NE I call LE or some such.)

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
First 5e campaign I ran had two of them. First 5e campaign I played in had one.
We have one in our current campaign: it was almost a joke since the player hates short characters and this is his first in decades!

Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I generally run with everything in the core books (so I'll allow the aasimar, eladrin, death cleric, and oathbreaker paladin from the DMG) plus the Elemental Evil Player's Companion. I'll also allow subclasses from Xanathar's if a player is interested in one of those.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Whateveer makes sense for the campaign. If the campaign concept is that the Queen of the Elves has sent a party of her followers in search of an ancient elven treasure it makes sense that the PCs are elves and probably not a random bunch of strangers. If the campaign is set in some far-inland trade route through desert/steppe, sea elves aren't suitable. In the game I'm currently playing (thoughh it's not D&D but the principle would be the same) the only significant restriction was that players couldn't make a character from the city we were playing in so that players wouldn't have to keep asking whether they knew things residents should but the player didn't. But it wouldn't be a general restriction in any campaign.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Don't think anyone cares that much about Gnomes. I've seen 3 rolled up in 30 years. 1 per edition.
I don't see many but those I do see tend to hang around forever.

And as my SO's all-time number 1 character is a Gnome, I'm kinda stuck with them... :)

Remove ads