• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

Cleon

Legend
Well, I'm OK with CL 6 if you prefer.

I'm ok with the skill like just as a clarification. But don't "Spells" SAs usually stack with the same casting class? I'd rather make them normally as sorcs and then put an underbar about wizardly ones (I'd not expect neogi to produce many divine casters).

Well we can just call it "Old Master Spellcasting" rather than "Spells", like so:

Spells (Sp): An undead old master casts spells as a 6th level sorcerer.

Typical Spells Known (6/8/6/4 per day; caster level 6th)
0acid splash (+11 ranged touch), daze (DC 16), detect magic, light, mage hand, read magic, touch of fatigue (+11 melee touch; DC 16);
1stcolor spray (DC 17), expeditious retreat, mage armor*, magic missile;
2ndinvisibility, web (DC 18);
3rdfireball (DC 19).

Skills: A neogi uses its Dexterity score instead of its Strength score for Climb and Jump checks. Neogi have a +8 bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks even if rushed or threatened.

Old Master Spellcasting
An old master has all the class features of a 6th level spellcaster. Most have the abilities of a 6th level sorcerer, as described above, but some old masters have the class features of another spellcasting class instead (a 6th level wizard, cleric, druid, et cetera). Old master's advance by class level, and can add these levels to their racial spellcasting powers. Thus, if the sample old master presented here advanced three levels in sorcerer it would have all the benefits of a 9th level sorcerer.

Skills: An old master's undead levels' class skills combine a neogi's racial skills (Appraise, Balance, Climb, Disable Device, Intimidate, Jump, Search, and Spot) with the class skills of its spellcasting class, which is usually sorcerer (Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Knowledge (arcana), Profession, and Spellcraft).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK, we need to add the chill touch. You had
Chill Touch (Su): Any living creature hit by an undead old master's touch attack takes 1d4 points of cold damage and is paralyzed for 1 round (a successful DC X Fortitude save negates the paralysis). The duration of the paralysis is cumulative if the old master hits multiple times and its opponent fails their chill touch saves (maximum duration 10 rounds). The save DC is Charisma-based.
which looks pretty good. The only change it needs is that it acts on any natural attack (as opposed to a separate touch attack):

Chill Touch (Su): Any living creature hit by an undead old master's natural weapon takes 1d4 points of cold damage and is paralyzed for 1 round (a successful DC X Fortitude save negates the paralysis). The duration of the paralysis is cumulative if the old master hits multiple times and its opponent fails their chill touch saves (maximum duration 10 rounds). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
OK, we need to add the chill touch. You had

which looks pretty good. The only change it needs is that it acts on any natural attack (as opposed to a separate touch attack):

Chill Touch (Su): Any living creature hit by an undead old master's natural weapon takes 1d4 points of cold damage and is paralyzed for 1 round (a successful DC X Fortitude save negates the paralysis). The duration of the paralysis is cumulative if the old master hits multiple times and its opponent fails their chill touch saves (maximum duration 10 rounds). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Fine by me.

Updating the Neogi Undead Old Master Working Draft.

freyar

OK, looks like it can get 5 more ranks in Spellcraft. 11 more in Know. (arcana), 4 more in Concentration. That leaves 29 more to go. Where do you want to put those? Spot at 9 more ranks and Intimidate at 11 seem good to max out , but it doesn't make much difference how we distribute the last 9 ranks.

Cleon

Legend
OK, looks like it can get 5 more ranks in Spellcraft. 11 more in Know. (arcana), 4 more in Concentration. That leaves 29 more to go. Where do you want to put those? Spot at 9 more ranks and Intimidate at 11 seem good to max out , but it doesn't make much difference how we distribute the last 9 ranks.

The first tranche of skills seems OK, but sticking all those points in Intimidate and Spot doesn't seem right. I'm OK with a few more points there, but I'm thinking it would be appropriate to give it some ranks in Bluff and Craft (alchemy) instead.

Maybe put a few more ranks in Balance and Move Silently to compensate for its Lower Dexterity?

freyar

Something like additional ranks of

Spellcraft 5, Know (arcana) 11, Concentration 4, Craft (alchemy) 15, Bluff 7, Balance 4, Move Silently 4?

Remove ads