Spelljammer Converting Spelljammer creatures

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It's not quite "chill touch" as it does 1 round of paralysis rather than Str damage, in homage to the lich.

I'd be happy to use the 6th level sorc as the starting point. We can put in an underbar for the wizardly version.

Cleon

Legend
It's not quite "chill touch" as it does 1 round of paralysis rather than Str damage, in homage to the lich.

I'd be happy to use the 6th level sorc as the starting point. We can put in an underbar for the wizardly version.

Sounds like a plan.

When I have the time I'll port over the stats into the Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
If you don't get the chance, I can probably do it this weekend.

Not in my Working Draft you can't, unless you've got Admin privileges and haven't let on!

I've already got the stats, so it won't take very long.

Might as well do it now, in fact.

Cleon

Legend
Updating Neogi Undead Old Master Working Draft with Neogi Sorcerer stats.

We'll probably want to tweak the stats - most Undead have improved ability scores, so I'd suggest at the very least giving it Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2 like the SRD Lich. I wouldn't consider anything higher than an SRD Vampire's Str +6, Dex +4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4, though.

Maybe some racial bonuses too, since the Lich and Vampire have them?

Cleon

Legend
I've added all the Neogi Sorcerer's stuff to the Undead Old Master.

Can we can safely remove the Rat familiar? It doesn't add a great deal, and it rather clutters up the stats.

It's got worse attack mods than the regular neogi sorcerer! We could fix that by increasing its HD or Dexterity.

How about giving it a +2 to Dex and 12 Hit Dice? The original had a min. CL of 5 and 7 HD, and 7 plus 5 equals 12!

That would also give it an additional feat, +1 on all its saves, 6 more SPs and an extra 7 hit points.

I'm thinking Multiattack! It's said to be willing to engage in combat, after all...

freyar

I think we should stick to the ability boosts of the lich Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2, since these are basically neogi-specific lich-wannabes.

I'm open to giving it 12HD, though.

I'd leave in the rat familiar but drop the rat statblock. I'm pretty sure we've done that before.

Let's clean this up a bit more before deciding on feats. ;)

Cleon

Legend
I think we should stick to the ability boosts of the lich Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2, since these are basically neogi-specific lich-wannabes.

I'm open to giving it 12HD, though.

I'd leave in the rat familiar but drop the rat statblock. I'm pretty sure we've done that before.

Let's clean this up a bit more before deciding on feats. ;)

Okay, so increase the NA instead of Dex to account for the better basic AC of the AD&D version?

Up it to 12 Hit Dice and drop the Rat statblock?

It's already got the feats of the Neogi Sorcerer in the statblock, but it'll get another one from the increased HD.

freyar

I'd be ok increasing the NA a little if you insist, but making magical adjustments would be ok too.

Yes, 12HD. Keep the rat familiar, but drop the statblock. I think the slave-holding ideals of neogi go well with keeping a slave-familiar. ;)

Let's finish the chill touch.
Whenever an undead old master physically attacks, the victim suffers an additional 1-2 points of cold damage, and must save vs. Paralysis or remain motionless on the following round. This temporary “hold” lasts only a single round, but if the neogi strikes the victim again during that round, it must save again to avoid being paralyzed on the next round, and so on.
This sounds different than the lich, but we can model it.

Chill Touch (Su): Any living creature hit by an undead old master's touch attack takes 1d2 hp of cold damage and is paralyzed for XdX rounds (a successful DC X Fortitude save negates the paralysis). Anyone paralyzed by an undead old master seems dead, though a DC 20 Spot check or a DC 15 Heal check reveals that the victim is still alive.

Cleon

Legend
I'd be ok increasing the NA a little if you insist, but making magical adjustments would be ok too.

Yes, 12HD. Keep the rat familiar, but drop the statblock. I think the slave-holding ideals of neogi go well with keeping a slave-familiar. ;)

I'll update the Neogi Undead Old Master Working Draft with that then.

Let's finish the chill touch.

This sounds different than the lich, but we can model it.

Chill Touch (Su): Any living creature hit by an undead old master's touch attack takes 1d2 hp of cold damage and is paralyzed for XdX rounds (a successful DC X Fortitude save negates the paralysis). Anyone paralyzed by an undead old master seems dead, though a DC 20 Spot check or a DC 15 Heal check reveals that the victim is still alive.

The old master's chill touch does not make the victim appear dead and it only lasts for 1 round.

I'd also increase the damage. To 1d4? A point or two of cold damage barely seems worth bothering with.

Also, does the duration stack? The original description is a little vague.

How about:

Chill Touch (Su): Any living creature hit by an undead old master's touch attack takes 1d4 points of cold damage and is paralyzed for 1 round (a successful DC X Fortitude save negates the paralysis). The duration of the paralysis is cumulative if the old master hits multiple times and its opponent fails their chill touch saves (maximum duration 10 rounds). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Remove ads