• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'm posting this list for you guys in case it might be of some help. I'm collecting 3.5 conversions for all of the 2e Planescape monsters along with a few other 2e "planar" books.

Thanks! Some of those have been updated, but haven't made it into the CC yet. I know we've done the buraq, warden beast and a few others off the top of my head.

Some of those will never get 3.5 updates, since they've been updated in the Tome of Horrors Revised. I believe the hydroloth and dergoloth, for example, are in there with 3.5 stats.

I'll compare the list to our other lists when selecting upcoming conversions. Thanks again!

Oryan77

Adventurer
I'll compare the list to our other lists when selecting upcoming conversions. Thanks again!

I forgot about Tome of Horrors. I removed those monsters from my list.

Can you share your lists with me so I can compare my list? I'm putting together a pdf index for myself so that I can reference these monsters when I need them for my PS game. I'd like to make sure I'm as up to date as you guys are with these conversions.

Cleon

Legend
Some of those will never get 3.5 updates, since they've been updated in the Tome of Horrors Revised. I believe the hydroloth and dergoloth, for example, are in there with 3.5 stats.

Haven't we broken that rule on a couple of occasions, since the Tome of Horrors ain't an official 3E source and we were bored at the time?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Haven't we broken that rule on a couple of occasions, since the Tome of Horrors ain't an official 3E source and we were bored at the time?

I can't recall ever doing that. It's one of the CC's mandates:

1.) Don't convert stuff in (readily-available) official 3.5 sources.
2.) Don't update stuff in the Tome of Horrors.

Oryan77 said:
Can you share your lists with me so I can compare my list? I'm putting together a pdf index for myself so that I can reference these monsters when I need them for my PS game. I'd like to make sure I'm as up to date as you guys are with these conversions.

We follow Echohawk's lists, found here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-monster-talk/200378-unconverted-d-d-creatures.htm

The Planescape-specific list is here:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-monster-talk/161757-unconverted-planescape-creatures.htmll

Oryan77

Adventurer
We follow Echohawk's lists, found here:

I compared the lists and used Echohawk's Monster Index Excel file to double check everything.

This is the full Planescape (or planar) list of monsters that I could not find in any of the sources that you guys seem to reference. Several of these are listed in Echohawk's excel file as originating from Planewalker.com, but the links are dead and they are not on the Creature Catalogue.

NOT CONVERTED TO 3.5:
[sblock]
NOT CONVERTED TO 3.5

Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix I:
Incarnate
Mediator, Mechanus
Per (3.0 exists)

Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II:
Incantifier (Sect)
Leomarh (3.0 exists)
Merkhant (Sect)
Observer
Prolonger (Sect)
Reave
Spellhaunt
Spider, Hook
Tso

Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix III:
Homucunlous, Elemental, Breather
Homucunlous, Elemental, Skin
Opposition (Sect)
Phirblas
Primal (Sect)

Planes of Chaos:
Chaos Imp
Murska (3.0 exists)

Planes of Conflict:
Gautiere
Linqua

Planes of Law:
Archon, Tome (3.0 exists)
Gear Spirit
Moigno

Tales From the Infinite Staircase:
Shard
Silver Golem
Valgoss
Slaiyith
Taker of Life
Dark Dweller
Kamerel
Maturing Baatorian

Dead Gods:
Biological Construct
Elf, Alabaster
Wraithworm, The
Ingress

Hellbound: The Blood War:
Darklore

Doors to the Unknown:
Cortelestial
Mercurial

In the Abyss:
Ship of Chaos

The Great Modron March:
Modronoid

Faction War:
Gem Golem

Well of Worlds:
Giant Bloodworm (3.0 exists)

The Vortex of Madness:
Cyclopkin
Mnemosyne
Themis
Leonis’s Automata – Flyer, Juggernaut & Organ Gun
Vita
[/sblock]

Cleon

Legend
I can't recall ever doing that. It's one of the CC's mandates:

1.) Don't convert stuff in (readily-available) official 3.5 sources.
2.) Don't update stuff in the Tome of Horrors.

Hmm, I could have sworn there are a few Tome of Horrors critters have slipped through by accident or omission...

Looking through the Creature Catalog there are a few 3.0 critters (Vampire Rose, Giant Snapping Turtle) that are in the ToH.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The 3.0 critters in the CC that are also in the ToH were converted here before the ToH existed. In fact, since Scott Greene started the CC and wrote the ToH, the early conversions here ended up in the ToH.

Back to the monster at hand, I'm ok with leaving the damage at 1d10 for all weapon types, but I'd like to have some mechanical differentiation. At least damage type (bludgeoning/piercing/slashing) if not anything else.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Back to the monster at hand, I'm ok with leaving the damage at 1d10 for all weapon types, but I'd like to have some mechanical differentiation. At least damage type (bludgeoning/piercing/slashing) if not anything else.

At the very least.

Cleon

Legend
The 3.0 critters in the CC that are also in the ToH were converted here before the ToH existed. In fact, since Scott Greene started the CC and wrote the ToH, the early conversions here ended up in the ToH.

So, have it gain the same damage types as the weapon(s) it imitates?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes, that would seem to make sense.

Modifying Cleon's suggestion:
Malleable Form (Ex): A busen can reshape its body into many shapes, although it always occupies the same volume and has an oily black skin. For example, it can grow large ears to give itself a racial bonus [or circumstance?] to Listen checks. A busen can use malleable form to grant itself a racial [?] bonus to Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Listen, Search, Spot, Swim, or Tumble. Malleable form can grant a total racial bonus of up to +X [+12?], but no more than +Y [+8?] in any one skill.

A busen may also change the form of its natural attacks to take the form of any manufactured weapon. The natural attack gains the damage type (bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing) of the imitated weapon (but no other features of that weapon?). The natural attack damage is unchanged (1d10 hp for a standard busen).

It requires a full-round action [?] for a busen to change from one form to another.

Hmmmm. Maybe don't change the crit multiplier or threat range but allow it to gain bonuses on special attacks (like trip, etc) for imitating appropriate weapons?

Remove ads