• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Planescape monsters

Cleon

Legend
The whirlwind is a good argument for fairly high Dex, though. And, to me, the damage means the Str is probably comparable to the Large air and fire elementals. I'll suggest a line of Str 15, Dex 20, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 11.

I don't mind Dex 20, I was just playing devil's advocate.

Methinks the Str should be higher, though.

A Fiend Folio Movanic Deva has Str 17, the SRD Babau Demon Str 21. Air and Fire are the physically weak Elementals, an 8 HD SRD Water Elemental has Str 20 (Earth is Str 25, but I imagine their changeable flesh makes them a better match to Water Elementals).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Based on damage, though, they're closer to the Air and Fire elementals. But I don't have a real problem with increasing Str somewhat.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Adding to Homebrews with Str 19, Dex 20, Con 17, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 11.

I think the "change shape" should simple be a "Weapon Protrusions" abilty that allows it to mimic any form of weapon or natural attack. The benefits gleaned from its selection would be the damage type (bludgeoning/piercing/slashing) and possibly the crit range/multiplier of the mimicked weapon.

Should the "invisibility in darkness" be an actual Su ability (maybe shadow blend), or just a circumstance bonus on Hide checks in areas of darkness?

Suggested range for telepathy?

Should the "half damage from cold" become resistance to cold x? Suggested amount?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Adding to Homebrews with Str 19, Dex 20, Con 17, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 11.

Those scores work for me.

I think the "change shape" should simple be a "Weapon Protrusions" abilty that allows it to mimic any form of weapon or natural attack. The benefits gleaned from its selection would be the damage type (bludgeoning/piercing/slashing) and possibly the crit range/multiplier of the mimicked weapon.

I'm also thinking it should give it a racial bonus to various skills, since it can mould its body to fit its circumstances. Something like.
Malleable Form (Ex): A busen can reshape its body into many shapes, although it always occupies the same volume and has an oily black skin. For example, it can grow large ears to give itself a racial bonus [or circumstance?] to Listen checks. A busen can use malleable form to grant itself a racial [?] bonus to Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Listen, Search, Spot, Swim, or Tumble. Malleable form can grant a total racial bonus of up to +X [+12?], but no more than +Y [+8?] in any one skill.

It requires a full-round action [?] for a busen to change from one form to another.
Should the "invisibility in darkness" be an actual Su ability (maybe shadow blend), or just a circumstance bonus on Hide checks in areas of darkness?

I was assuming we'd use Shadow Blend.

Suggested range for telepathy?

100 feet?

Should the "half damage from cold" become resistance to cold x? Suggested amount?

Either 10 or 15. I'm not that fussed which, but will go for 15 for the sake of argument.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like it all, though I'd go with resistance 10 based on its HD.

As for the weapon business, we should probably limit it somewhat. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a wide range of damage numbers, threat ranges, crit multipliers, etc. Or maybe it could have lots of effective daggers vs only one effective greatsword or something?

Cleon

Legend
I like it all, though I'd go with resistance 10 based on its HD.

As for the weapon business, we should probably limit it somewhat. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a wide range of damage numbers, threat ranges, crit multipliers, etc. Or maybe it could have lots of effective daggers vs only one effective greatsword or something?

The original monster could protrude weapons in many shapes, but they always had the same performance - 1d10 damage with no special abilities.

In principle I would have no objection to it being able to imitate any simple or martial melee weapon (or an exotic weapon if it gains Exotic Weapon Proficiency in it), but I would rather it just do 1d10 damage and have no special abilities like the original.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I'm posting this list for you guys in case it might be of some help. I'm collecting 3.5 conversions for all of the 2e Planescape monsters along with a few other 2e "planar" books.

These are the monsters that I don't see converted to 3.5 edition over on the Creature Catalog. The ones marked (3.0 exists) means there are 3.0 versions on the Creature Catalog. The sects should probably be Prestige Classes but I listed them anyway as a reminder to myself. Let me know if you did convert one of these monsters and I will remove it from this list. I noticed there were several conversions you did that have not shown up on the Creature Catalog yet. But maybe I missed some others.

NOT CONVERTED TO 3.5
[sblock]
NOT CONVERTED TO 3.5

Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix I:
Incarnate
Mediator, Mechanus
Per (3.0 exists)

Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II:
Incantifier (Sect)
Leomarh (3.0 exists)
Merkhant (Sect)
Observer