Converting Planescape monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmmmm. Maybe don't change the crit multiplier or threat range but allow it to gain bonuses on special attacks (like trip, etc) for imitating appropriate weapons?

If we're going with the latter, I wanna use the former.

The way I see it, we can take one of two approaches:

Malleable Form #1 (Ex): A busen can reshape its body into many shapes, although it always occupies the same volume and has an oily black skin. For example, it can grow large ears to give itself a bonus on Listen checks. A busen can use malleable form to grant itself a +x racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Listen, Search, Spot, Swim, or Tumble checks. Malleable form can grant a total racial bonus of up to ++12, but no more than +8 in any one skill.

A busen may also change the form of its natural attacks to take the general form of any manufactured weapon. The natural attack gains the damage type (bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing) of the imitated weapon, but no other features of that weapon. Regardless of the damage type, the natural attack damage is always the same (1d10 hp for a standard busen).

It requires a full-round action [?] for a busen to change from one form to another.

Malleable Form #2 (Ex): A busen can reshape its body into many shapes, although it always occupies the same volume and has an oily black skin. For example, it can grow large ears to give itself a bonus on Listen checks. A busen can use malleable form to grant itself a +x racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Listen, Search, Spot, Swim, or Tumble checks. Malleable form can grant a total racial bonus of up to ++12, but no more than +8 in any one skill.

A busen may also change the form of its natural attacks to take the form of any manufactured melee weapon (longsword, spear, etc.). The natural attack gains all traits of the weapon, such as the damage type (bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing), critical threat range and multiplier, bonuses on disarm and trip checks, and so forth. Regardless of the weapon emulated, the natural attack damage is always the same (1d10 hp for a standard busen).

It requires a full-round action [?] for a busen to change from one form to another.

I, of course, prefer #2.

Cleon

Legend
If we're going with the latter, I wanna use the former.

The way I see it, we can take one of two approaches:

Malleable Form #1 (Ex): A busen can reshape its body into many shapes, although it always occupies the same volume and has an oily black skin. For example, it can grow large ears to give itself a bonus on Listen checks. A busen can use malleable form to grant itself a +x racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Listen, Search, Spot, Swim, or Tumble checks. Malleable form can grant a total racial bonus of up to ++12, but no more than +8 in any one skill.

A busen may also change the form of its natural attacks to take the general form of any manufactured weapon. The natural attack gains the damage type (bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing) of the imitated weapon, but no other features of that weapon. Regardless of the damage type, the natural attack damage is always the same (1d10 hp for a standard busen).

Malleable Form #2 (Ex): A busen can reshape its body into many shapes, although it always occupies the same volume and has an oily black skin. For example, it can grow large ears to give itself a bonus on Listen checks. A busen can use malleable form to grant itself a +x racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Listen, Search, Spot, Swim, or Tumble checks. Malleable form can grant a total racial bonus of up to ++12, but no more than +8 in any one skill.

A busen may also change the form of its natural attacks to take the form of any manufactured melee weapon (longsword, spear, etc.). The natural attack gains all traits of the weapon, such as the damage type (bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing), critical threat range and multiplier, bonuses on disarm and trip checks, and so forth. Regardless of the weapon emulated, the natural attack damage is always the same (1d10 hp for a standard busen).

I, of course, prefer #2.

Well I'm not that bothered either way, to be frank. I lean towards #1, but if you prefer #2 I'd be OK with it.

I would make some minor grammatical fixes, though:

Malleable Form (Ex): A busen can reshape its body into many shapes, although it always occupies the same volume and has an oily black skin. For example, it can grow large ears to give itself a bonus on Listen checks. A busen can use malleable form to grant itself a racial bonus on Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Hide, Intimidate, Move Silently, Listen, Search, Spot, Swim, or Tumble checks. Malleable form can grant racial bonuses with a total bonus up to +12, but no more than a +8 bonus to any one skill.

A busen may also change the form of its natural attacks to take the form of any manufactured 1-handed melee weapon (heavy pick, longspear, whip, etc.). The natural attack gains all traits of the weapon, such as damage type (bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing), critical threat range and multiplier, bonuses on disarm and trip checks, increased reach, and so forth. Regardless of the weapon emulated, the natural attack's damage is always the same (1d10 for a standard busen). Emulated weapons cannot be disarmed, sundered or thrown, since they are as much a part of the busen's body as any ordinary natural weapon.

Cleon

Legend
Are we all OK with a full-round action to change from one form to another? If so, I'll update Homebrews.

The Planes of Law original took 5 rounds to change form, so I thought that 1 round would be a bare minimum for the transformation.

Anyhow, I'm OK with it as-is.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
But the weapon-like protrusions "suddenly jut out." Should we split this into two abilities? One for the skill bonuses that takes a round or more and one for the weapons that's a swift or move action?

Cleon

Legend
But the weapon-like protrusions "suddenly jut out." Should we split this into two abilities? One for the skill bonuses that takes a round or more and one for the weapons that's a swift or move action?

So something like:

A busen can change the weapon form of its natural weapons as a swift action (or a free action if it has the Quick Draw feat), but it requires a full-round action for a busen to change the racial bonuses of its malleable form.

Remove ads