Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
It says:
Tarsardar can deliver two “energy burn” touch attacks per round. These attacks are automatically successful if sent against a creature touching an item that a tarsardar is within, but a successful attack roll is required if the tarsardar is partially or wholly emergent. If a tarsardar is injured for more than 6 hit points of damage in a round and also manages to deliver a touch attack in the same round, the hit points over and above the 6 that they lose are added to the damage roll of their energy burn attack, as they “leak” excess energy.
Note sure exactly what "energy burn" means here. Since they're native outsiders, something like force damage could both make sense and be fun. I'd say a touch attack with a retributive aspect? And give them 2, like it's a natural weapon.

"Energy Touch" (Su): A tarsardar animating an item (see Animate Magic Item above) may make a melee touch attack that deals 3d4 hp of force damage; if the tarsardar attacks a creature that is currently holding the item the tarsardar animates, the attack is automatically successful. If the tarsardar has taken more than 6 hp of damage in the previous round, its "energy touch" attacks deal that much extra damage as energy leaks from the tarsardar's body.

Also: it looks like they should have a continuous detect magic ability.

Cleon

Legend
It says:

Note sure exactly what "energy burn" means here. Since they're native outsiders, something like force damage could both make sense and be fun. I'd say a touch attack with a retributive aspect? And give them 2, like it's a natural weapon.

"Energy Touch" (Su): A tarsardar animating an item (see Animate Magic Item above) may make a melee touch attack that deals 3d4 hp of force damage; if the tarsardar attacks a creature that is currently holding the item the tarsardar animates, the attack is automatically successful. If the tarsardar has taken more than 6 hp of damage in the previous round, its "energy touch" attacks deal that much extra damage as energy leaks from the tarsardar's body.

The tarsardar can use its energy touch when in its normal disembodied state, it doesn't have to be animating an object. I'd say it's either an incorporeal touch or a melee touch depending on whether or not it's animating a body.

Having it do force damage would suit me fine.

I'm not that enamored of the "retributive touch" mechanism, so wouldn't mind dropping it. Let's see what Shade thinks.

Also: it looks like they should have a continuous detect magic ability.

I was thinking more arcane sight if not greater arcane sight!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Something like this? Is there a better retributive strike mechanic lying around somewhere? This one feels a bit clunky.

"Energy Touch" (Su): A tarsardar may make an incorporeal touch attack that deals 3d4 hp of force damage. A tarsardar animating an item (see Animate Magic Item above) makes this attack as a melee touch attack; if the tarsardar attacks a creature that is currently holding the item the tarsardar animates, the attack is automatically successful. If the tarsardar has taken more than 6 hp of damage in the previous round, its "energy touch" attacks deal that much extra damage as energy leaks from the tarsardar's body.

Arcane sight is good!

Cleon

Legend
Something like this? Is there a better retributive strike mechanic lying around somewhere? This one feels a bit clunky.

"Energy Touch" (Su): A tarsardar may make an incorporeal touch attack that deals 3d4 hp of force damage. A tarsardar animating an item (see Animate Magic Item above) makes this attack as a melee touch attack; if the tarsardar attacks a creature that is currently holding the item the tarsardar animates, the attack is automatically successful. If the tarsardar has taken more than 6 hp of damage in the previous round, its "energy touch" attacks deal that much extra damage as energy leaks from the tarsardar's body.

Arcane sight is good!

I'd make the Retributive Strike a separate ability, just to it doesn't get lost in the text.

Also, I prefer "the attack automatically hit" over "the attack is automatically successful".

e.g.:

Energy Touch (Su): A tarsardar may make an incorporeal touch attack that deals 3d4 hp of force damage. A tarsardar animating an item (see Animate Magic Item above) makes this attack as a melee touch attack; if the tarsardar attacks a creature that is currently holding the item the tarsardar animates, the attack is automatically successful. If the tarsardar takes more than 6 hp of damage in a round, the damage of its energy touch is increased by its Retributive Strike ability (see below) in the following round.

Retributive Strike (Su): If a tarsardar takes more than 6 hit points of damage in the previous round its "energy touch" attacks deal that much extra damage as energy leaks from the tarsardar's body.

Shade

Monster Junkie

Here's an example of a previous retributive strike attack:

Retributive Strike (Su): Whenever a gray unicorn is struck by a melee attack (including melee touch delivered spells) the attacker must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or take damage equal to that inflicted upon the unicorn. The damage dealt to the attacker is not subject to negation or reduction because of resistance, immunity, damage reduction, spell resistance, or the like. The save DC is Charisma-based.

I'd make the Retributive Strike a separate ability, just to it doesn't get lost in the text.

Also, I prefer "the attack automatically hit" over "the attack is automatically successful".

e.g.:

Energy Touch (Su): A tarsardar may make an incorporeal touch attack that deals 3d4 hp of force damage. A tarsardar animating an item (see Animate Magic Item above) makes this attack as a melee touch attack; if the tarsardar attacks a creature that is currently holding the item the tarsardar animates, the attack is automatically successful. If the tarsardar takes more than 6 hp of damage in a round, the damage of its energy touch is increased by its Retributive Strike ability (see below) in the following round.

Retributive Strike (Su): If a tarsardar takes more than 6 hit points of damage in the previous round its "energy touch" attacks deal that much extra damage as energy leaks from the tarsardar's body.

I think these abilities look fine, although I'd favor renaming both. The former to avoid confusion with the standard "energy types" and the latter since numerous retributive strike abilities already exist, and this is a bit different. Perhaps "Forceful Strike" for the former and "Power Leak" for the latter?

Cleon

Legend
I think these abilities look fine, although I'd favor renaming both. The former to avoid confusion with the standard "energy types" and the latter since numerous retributive strike abilities already exist, and this is a bit different. Perhaps "Forceful Strike" for the former and "Power Leak" for the latter?

I'm fine changing the names, but don't much like the proposed alternatives.

Maybe "Power Touch" and "Power Backlash"?

Shade

Monster Junkie
"Power Touch" is fine, but I'm not sure about Backlash. It's simply doing more damage due to leaking energy...not actually lashing back at the prior attacker out of any sort of retribitution.

Cleon

Legend
"Power Touch" is fine, but I'm not sure about Backlash. It's simply doing more damage due to leaking energy...not actually lashing back at the prior attacker out of any sort of retribitution.

How about "Retributive Flux", since flux can mean an excessive flow or discharge?

Remove ads