• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed.

They cannot be harmed by winds, falling, or weapons that have the same form as the item they currently call home (for instance, if a tarsardar is inhabiting a magical ax, no bladed chopping weapon – magical or not, artifact or crude homemade ax – can do it any harm). Moreover, they can deem themselves immune to one attack power (if any) possessed by the item they call home, and thereafter will be immune to that power and all related powers (for example, lightning bolt and chain lightning are related, as are fireball and meteor swarm) – even if launched against them from the very item they “call their home” – until the item is destroyed or they deem themselves immune to another magical attack form, of that or another item. Tarsardar can migrate from enchanted item to enchanted item at will.

Tarsardar are immune to Enchantment/charm and Illusion/phantasm spells, to death magic, and to all forms of hold and paralyzation magic. They are also immune to psionics and to all poison, petrification, polymorph, cold-based, and electricity-based attacks.

The immunities are pretty straightforward, though we might tweak the charm immunity to include compulsions or the phantasm immunity to include patterns. Not sure. The weapon damage immunity is a bit weirder, and I'm not sure I get the logic. I can understand the immunity to the magic attack a bit better.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed.

The immunities are pretty straightforward, though we might tweak the charm immunity to include compulsions or the phantasm immunity to include patterns. Not sure. The weapon damage immunity is a bit weirder, and I'm not sure I get the logic. I can understand the immunity to the magic attack a bit better.

I was thinking immunity to mind-affecting powers would make sense, since they're pretty close to incorporeal undead.

As for the "Weapon Immunity" SQ, that's similar to what Guardian Daemons had in AD&D. The Enworld conversion of those critters didn't inherit that ability, unfortunately.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I was thinking immunity to mind-affecting powers would make sense, since they're pretty close to incorporeal undead.

Agreed.

As for the "Weapon Immunity" SQ, that's similar to what Guardian Daemons had in AD&D. The Enworld conversion of those critters didn't inherit that ability, unfortunately.

I'd rather give 'em some sort of damage reduction or blink-like "not always there" ability than blanket immunity.

Cleon

Legend
If by "one kind of weapon" you mean the usual slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning, than I'm in.

So a tarsardar in a weapon gains damage reduction against the damage types that match the weapon?

What if it has multiple damage types, like a morningstar's bludgeoning and piercing?

Does the tarsardar pick one or the other, or apply both?

Remove ads