Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Cleon

Legend
So, a blending of the two?

I think the idea was that the tarsardar could "wield itself" when occupying a magic item, so if it occupied a weapon it could attack with its "body".

That means it would need a Strength score or the equivalent, perhaps Str = Cha?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Uggh, never liked incorporeals with Str, but I guess it makes sense in this case.

Glad you didn't go with a template; the "former lives" bit seemed like a throwaway that didn't fit with the rest of the monster.

Anyway: for this ability, we need flying, attacking, using any magical ability of the item. Right?

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think the idea was that the tarsardar could "wield itself" when occupying a magic item, so if it occupied a weapon it could attack with its "body".

That means it would need a Strength score or the equivalent, perhaps Str = Cha?

Not necessarily. It could simply function as something like a spiritual weapon (or just state within the ability that it attacks as if it had Str x).

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Uggh, never liked incorporeals with Str, but I guess it makes sense in this case.

Glad you didn't go with a template; the "former lives" bit seemed like a throwaway that didn't fit with the rest of the monster.

Anyway: for this ability, we need flying, attacking, using any magical ability of the item. Right?

Yup. Same 40 ft. (perfect) flight as the tarsardar?

Cleon

Legend
Not necessarily. It could simply function as something like a spiritual weapon (or just state within the ability that it attacks as if it had Str x).

I was thinking something like "A tarsardar animating a magic weapon can use it to make physical attacks and interact with material objects, but is limited by the properties of the magic item. For example, a battleaxe could attack as that weapon or push things around, a rope could tie itself around something and lift it up, a glove could do anything a humanoid can do with one hand. When animating a magic item, the tarsardar acts as if it has a Strength score equal to its Charisma."

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
So not really a Str score, just an effective one for the animated item? That works for me.

The same flight as the tarsardar itself also works. Want to put that all together?

Cleon

Legend
So not really a Str score, just an effective one for the animated item? That works for me.

The same flight as the tarsardar itself also works. Want to put that all together?

Thus?

Animate Magic Item (Su): A tarsardar can move into any magic item and animate it as if that item had become the tarsardar's body. It takes 1 full round for a tarsardar to animate an unfamiliar magic item, but if the tarsardar has previously animated a magic item it can animate it again as a standard action.

The tarsardar has complete access to all of the magic item's abilities, and is treated as if it has all prerequisites required to use the magic item (class, caster level, alignment et cetera). It automatically succeeds at any Use Magic Device check it makes to use the animated magic item's magical abilities.

The tarsardar can move the animated magic item around using its 40 ft. (perfect) fly speed. A tarsardar animating a magic item can use it to make physical attacks and interact with material objects, but is limited by the material limits of the magic item. For example, a battleaxe could attack as that weapon or push things around, a rope could tie itself around something and lift it up, a glove could do anything a humanoid can do with one hand. When animating a magic item, the tarsardar acts as if it has a Strength score equal to its Charisma.

A dispel magic spell targeting the magic item will drive out the animating tarsardar unless it succeeds as a Will save (DC equals the spell's DC). If the magic item loses all its magical properties, due to a disjunction spell, anti-magic field or similar effect, the animating tarsardar is automatically ejected from the item.

Remove ads