• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Immunity to mind-affecting works for me.

As for DR/damage type, we're saying it is DR/(damage type the weapon doesn't have)? Then we have to decide about multi-type weapons. Let's see, I guess it should only apply DR against one type; presumably the tarsardar should choose but only once each time it possesses a weapon.

Cleon

Legend

As for DR/damage type, we're saying it is DR/(damage type the weapon doesn't have)? Then we have to decide about multi-type weapons. Let's see, I guess it should only apply DR against one type; presumably the tarsardar should choose but only once each time it possesses a weapon.

That sounds reasonable. Care to write something up?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Actually, before we do that, we need to settle what happens if someone attacks (sunder attempt?) the animated weapon. Does it damage the weapon, the tarsardar, half and half?

Cleon

Legend
I'd better update the Working Draft with what we've got so far.

Actually, before we do that, we need to settle what happens if someone attacks (sunder attempt?) the animated weapon. Does it damage the weapon, the tarsardar, half and half?

Normally, a soul inside an object suffers no injury if the object is damaged (c.g. magic jar or trap the soul), but is driven out if the object is destroyed.

However, if we did that what's to stop the tarsardar hiding in item after item until all the party's magic gear has been smashed?

Hmm, aren't their rules for possessing items in The Book of Vile Darkness?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmm, aren't their rules for possessing items in The Book of Vile Darkness?

Indeed!

BoVD said:
A fiend possessing an object becomes a part of the object. A possessing fiend can see and hear up to 60 feet away from the object, but it can't use darkvision or blindsight while possessing an object, even if it ordinarily has these abilities. The possessing fiend remains vulnerable to spells that affect outsiders, extraplanar creatures, or evil creatures (such as holy word and holy smite) and mind-affecting spells and effects. Physical attacks and most spells (such as fireball) don't affect the fiend, but they might affect the object. Harming the object does not harm the possessing fiend; if the object is destroyed, the fiend takes ethereal form and can choose a new host object (or creature).

Cleon

Legend

I appreciate you me sparing me the effort to find where I left my copy!

Hmm, that's more-or-less how I remembered it from the Book of Vile Darkness. Unless my memory is failing - again! - the AD&D version is similar.

So, looks like we should use the magic jar / BOVD rule of "damage to the item does not harm a creature possessing it".

Shade

Monster Junkie
I appreciate you me sparing me the effort to find where I left my copy!

Hmm, that's more-or-less how I remembered it from the Book of Vile Darkness. Unless my memory is failing - again! - the AD&D version is similar.

So, looks like we should use the magic jar / BOVD rule of "damage to the item does not harm a creature possessing it".

I agree.

Cleon

Legend

Like this?:

Animate Magic Item (Su): *SNIP*

Damage to the magic item does no harm to a tarsardar animating it, but if the damage is enough to destroy the item the tarsardar is forced to revert to its normal incorporeal form.

A dispel magic spell targeting the magic item will drive out the animating tarsardar unless it succeeds as a Will save (DC equals the spell's DC). If the magic item loses all its magical properties, due to a disjunction spell, anti-magic field or similar effect, the animating tarsardar is automatically ejected from the item.

Cleon

Legend
OK then. So does it need to get any kind of DR related to a weapon it possesses?

I refer you to:

That sounds reasonable. Care to write something up?

Remove ads