3PP Release Would you buy archetypes for 3rd party classes?

Would you buy archetypes for only 3rd party classes?

xiphumor

Legend
I would buy a bundle of subclasses for a particular class or group of classes that were all in the same product. Having subclasses for classes spread across multiple other sources would have to be incredibly targeted for products I know and use.
So in other words, you would buy the Elementalist and Wielder in a bundle, but not, say, the Scholar and the Esper.

DallasRT

Villager
I have to also agree here. This is such a slippery slope in my opinion. I have no issue with anyone wanting to add more classes and subclasses, but personally I feel a lot of them are more for monetary gain. Again, my personal opinion and everyone has a right to agree or disagree.

DallasRT

Villager
I probably wouldn't. But it has nothing to do with whether or not they are bundled, or how. 5E D&D already has far too many classes and subclasses, in my opinion, so I just don't buy them. I'll make exceptions for third-party products of exceptional quality, produced by exceptional people (such as Paranormal Power which is amazing and everyone who is interested in psionics should have a copy) but 99.999% of the time I'll pass.

If I need a particular class or subclass in my game, I'm more inclined to write my own these days.
I have to also agree here. This is such a slippery slope in my opinion. I have no issue with anyone wanting to add more classes and subclasses, but personally I feel a lot of them are more for monetary gain. Again, my personal opinion and everyone has a right to agree or disagree.

Sorry for double post. Can't delete the original.

xiphumor

Legend

Sorry for double post. Can't delete the original.
I can respect that opinion, although in fairness, it sounds as though you wouldn't be buying archetypes I put out no matter what I made, so unless you have a suggestion for a different kind of product you would buy, I'm probably not losing any business from your side of the aisle. :)

noodohs

Explorer

I don't think I know of any 3PP releases that have been purely for monetary gain, at least for A5e. Yes, the publishers do get money for them, but in most cases I imagine (based on my wife's experience) that it's barely enough to justify having released it at all. Usually they are done because there's a gap that the person feels is not covered by current options and they want to fill that void. A5e in general has a serious lack of archetypes right now, IMO, and given that it still uses archetypes the same way as o5e, which is to say a single option you pick unless you multiclass, that heavily limits what you can do with them, so they can feel pretty limiting. Maybe you don't feel limited, but the more I play and try to find options that match a specific idea I have in my head, the more I find the existing options don't fit.

To the original question, does DTRPG have a way to bundle together things from multiple publishers? I know it's still less convenient than having every archetype in the same PDF/book as the base class, but maybe having a single price for everything would help some people. I don't mind them being separate, though, as the idea of having everything in one book doesn't even exist in official content unless you ignore every release that happens after the first book. We already have archetypes in the GPG, Dungeon Delver's Guide, even some other official supplements, and none of these include the base class. So that just seems like a strange reason not to buy archetypes to me.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Trying to read the room on this. The classes I specifically have in mind are the wielder and elementalist (from MoAR Complete), the esper (from Paranormal Power), the scholar (from Heroes Old and New), and the witch (from Mysterious and Marvelous Miscellanea).

You may vote more than once.
They key factor for me would be all the classes being in different 3pp books.

If it was several classes from one 3pp book that I liked, yeah, especially if it also had support for any official classes that have a similar vibe to the work.

Remove ads