3PP Release Would you buy archetypes for 3rd party classes?

Would you buy archetypes for only 3rd party classes?

xiphumor

Legend
Trying to read the room on this. The classes I specifically have in mind are the wielder and elementalist (from MoAR Complete), the esper (from Paranormal Power), the scholar (from Heroes Old and New), and the witch (from Mysterious and Marvelous Miscellanea).

You may vote more than once.

aco175

Legend
First, I have not heard of those classes so I would also need the base class in the book if I wanted to have the subclass. I would also favor having a book with several classes and subclasses over just one.

xiphumor

Legend
First, I have not heard of those classes so I would also need the base class in the book if I wanted to have the subclass. I would also favor having a book with several classes and subclasses over just one.
I get that, although while it would technically be legal, reprinting full classes I don’t own as part of the packet would be in bad taste, especially as I know the authors.

aco175

Legend
I get that, although while it would technically be legal, reprinting full classes I don’t own as part of the packet would be in bad taste, especially as I know the authors.
It would be harder for me to want to buy a book of subclasses if I had to also buy another book with the base class. If I owned the other 3pp book with the class in it, I would still favor several of those classes having subclasses in one supplement over smaller booklets with just a few.

Now, if you are making subclasses for classes in several 3pp books, which I may own only one, then I would just want a single class's subclasses and not mix them to where I would need to buy more of the books with the base classes in them.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would buy a bundle of subclasses for a particular class or group of classes that were all in the same product. Having subclasses for classes spread across multiple other sources would have to be incredibly targeted for products I know and use.

Pedantic

Legend
I'm in the minority based on the number of 3PP I own for A5E, but I certainly would.

It would be a lot easier if you could point to a clean, easy source for these classes, instead of a larger product like MoAR: Complete. The advanced artificer book is a great model, or of you could persuade the authors of those classes to sell them alone in pamphlet form, and then sell your products as a bundle add-on that would work well.

I have a copy of Paranormal Power and the Manual of Adventurous Resources: Complete. I am more familiar (and interested) in MoAR's Elementalist class. It's nice A5e adaptation of PF1's Kineticist class. So I would buy a packet of 3 archetypes for a single 3rd party class.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I probably wouldn't. But it has nothing to do with whether or not they are bundled, or how. 5E D&D already has far too many classes and subclasses, in my opinion, so I just don't buy them. I'll make exceptions for third-party products of exceptional quality, produced by exceptional people (such as Paranormal Power which is amazing and everyone who is interested in psionics should have a copy) but 99.999% of the time I'll pass.

If I need a particular class or subclass in my game, I'm more inclined to write my own these days.

Remove ads