• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trap Search, circumstance bonus for ...

kreynolds

First Post
candidus_cogitens said:
The idea is not simply to encourage roleplaying, but to encourage strategy!

Buy RISK. :D Either that, or you're going to need to physically build the trap so that your player's can actually disarm it. I would recommend, however, that you use rubber axe heads.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I am with Nail.

The DM is not a magical artificier. The player is not a Rogue. The player should not be required to have knowledge that only a real Rogue could have in order to play his character. The DM should not presume that his wild guesses about how ingenius traps would work mirror any useful version of even a make believe reality.

If you want to arbitrarily bypass the PC's skills for dramatic effect, logically you should consider doing the same for combat. I think the DM's sword arm is going to tired fencing with all those players. Better start lifting weights in your off time.

I once "roleplayed" 3 hours in a session where the DM assumed the characters were incapable of finding a cookie in a cookie jar if the players do not explain exactly where they are looking and what they are looking for. It was a mindless, frustrating waste of game time.

Letting the numbers and dice do the talking is not perfect, but it is a better way to go than the alternative 99+% of the time.

Remove ads