• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes of Highdale IC

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Girble puffs his chest out a bit. "Thanks, Ery." He knows spotting usually isn't his strong point. Those are some pretty big guys, though. He brandishes his morningstar and casts two spells (Bull's Strength and Bless). "Of course 'frontal assault'--what else would we do?"

Once everyone else is ready, he'll join the run to the ogres--though he'll probably lag behind.

ooc: Duration 10 minutes each.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ery starts to move forward, trying to position herself for a surprise attack on the ogres by using the shadows and the cover provided by the natural song of the mountains.

Ilium

First Post
Ery attempts to move surreptitiously among some tumbled boulders while the rest of the team rushes ahead on horseback. The fathach seem momentarily taken aback by the sudden appearance of this motley collection of riders and stand dumbstruck for a moment. Then one of them shouts fiercely to someone behind him. The riders all see a third ogre dart out from behind the rocks, running further up the trail. Another hundred feet or so in the direction he is running, the trail goes around a bend and is hidden from view. Meanwhile both remaining ogres lift wicked-looking spears and let fly.

Apparently they've judged Sirius the greatest threat (or the easiest target) since they both shoot at him. One spear goes wide, sailing out into the rock field. The other strikes true, though, rocking the doughty dwarf in his saddle.
[SBLOCK=Sirius' numbers]The spear (a Large javelin, actually) does 11 damage, but 10 of those go away due to Lucas' spell, so Sirius takes just 1 point.[/SBLOCK]

Ok, on the surprise round the main party covers 50 feet on horseback. 150 feet to go to reach the fathach. Ery moves 30 feet (normal move speed imposing a -5 on Hide checks) but she can't tell if she's been spotted yet.

In the first regular round, I've assumed everybody is just full-moving to close distance. The party covers another 100 feet (50 feet from the standing ogres now) while the fathach throw their spears. Initiatives are:

Girble: 15 + 5 = 20
Ogre 1 (running up the trail): 19
Sirius: 10 + 1 = 11 (arbitrarily bumped to 12 to break tie with Lucas)
Lucas: 5 + 6 = 11
Ogre 2 (Attacking): 10
Viktor: 9
Ery: 4 + 4 = 8
Ogre 3 (Attacking): 3

Ery covers another 60 feet, but she's falling behind. The fleeing ogre covers 40 feet. So it looks like this:
Bend in the trail
---60 feet---
Fleeing Ogre
---40 feet---
Standing ogres (They are blocking the trail, by the way)
---50 feet---
Main party
---60 feet---
Ery
---90 feet---
Ery's lonely horse

Remember that you can fast-dismount with a DC 20 Ride check and if you fail the only consequence is that it takes a Move action. I note that Lucas is actually a pretty good rider, but anybody can try it.

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Damn this isn't going how I'd hoped" Ery spits as she darts out of cover and races back down the trail to her waiting horse. Loosening it's bridle from where it had been looped she stands ready to mount and ride up the trail after her companions as quickly as she can "I hope they can hold on without me" she pants out of breath "They always seem to get into trouble when I'm not around".

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Seeing the fleeing Ogre Lucas deft reins in his horse, focussing on the Ogre Lucas speaks spidery words of magic, with a languid flick of his wrist he sends five glowing bolts of energy after the Ogre, and watches in satisfaction as they home in on their target and slam into it's back. "Going for reinforcement eh, well not if I can help it"

AC 21, HPs 41/41, cast Sudden Maximised Magic Missile for 25 points of damage.
Active Spell Effect: Endure Elements, Greater Mage Armour, Prot from Arrows (DR 10/ magic, 100 points remaining)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Girble points past the running ogre, "Well, that wall should definitely slow him down for a bit, Lucas. Have fun with that." Girble casts a Wall of Stone as he closes the distance to the ogres.

ooc: Well, I want to cast while riding, and dismount at the end, but I'm not very good with mounted rules. If I can't do all that, I'll just cast. I have a +15 Concentration.

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius growls at the scratch in his armor, "Ye'll pay fer tha'!" Prepping himself high in the saddle as best he could, he hefted his shield and axe, the reigns wrapped loosely in one hand, he urges his mount pounding down upon the nearest fathach.

OOC: Going to charge with Power Attack for 6, +12 (1d10+13, 19-20/x3)

Ilium

First Post
Girble jogs his mount forward. Long years of practice serve him well as he easily accounts for the horse's motions in his spellcasting. A hundred feet up the trail, the rocks on either side suddenly seem to stretch and grow, forming a seamless wall blocking the way. Girble points past the running ogre, "Well, that wall should definitely slow him down for a bit, Lucas. Have fun with that."[SBLOCK=Girble's Numbers]The Concentration check is only DC 15, and Girble has a +15 modifier. No roll necessary. The wall is 15 feet wide and just over 15 feet tall.[/SBLOCK]The fleeing fathach pulls up short, just stopping himself against the wall with his hands. He looks about in confusion for a moment, then leaps up and grabs the top of the wall with his huge, gnarled hands. He begins trying to scramble over the top.

As he struggles, Lucas speaks spidery words of magic, with a languid flick of his wrist he sends five glowing bolts of energy after the Ogre, and watches in satisfaction as they home in on their target and slam into it's back. "Going for reinforcement eh, well not if I can help it," he says. The fathach roars in rage and pain, but doesn't release his grip on the wall.[SBLOCK=Lucas' Numbers]Again no need to roll Concentration for riding and casting at the same time. Damage on the magic missile: only 14 points.[/SBLOCK]
Sirius growls at the scratch in his armor, "Ye'll pay fer tha'!" Prepping himself high in the saddle as best he could, he hefted his shield and axe, the reigns wrapped loosely in one hand, he urges his mount pounding down upon the nearest fathach. He pulls back and hews the larger giant with a mighty swing as it fumbles for the club lying at its feet.[SBLOCK=Sirus' Numbers]Attack roll 8+12 = 20, a hit (but only just!). Damage roll 3+13 = 16.[/SBLOCK]The creature staggers a moment but quickly recovers. It roars and shakes in a furious rage. But its immense club swings wild and succeeds only in smashing a chunk from a nearby boulder, sending rock chips and the smell of pulverized stone into the air.

The other fathach gets its weapon as well, but has no better luck hitting the doughty dwarf warrior.

Ery runs up just in time to join Viktor and Girble at the edge of the melee. Viktor dismounts and draws his blade.

OOC: Busy round. Ery (on foot), Viktor (dismounted) and Girble (still mounted?) are just outside the ogres' reach. Lucas, I assume, is about 10 feet behind them, staying out of melee range but with all three giants within easy casting range.

One ogre is a single full-round action from getting over the wall. The other two are engaged in melee with Sirius. Note that one of these (the one Sirius hit) is noticably bigger and badder than the other two. Actions?

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius (AC 30, 34 vs. giants; HP 136/137)

Sirius drops from the back of his mount assuming a powerful defensive posture and striking out at the over-sized Fathach. "What ya think ye wee gnat o' a twig 's gonna hurt?"

OOC: Activating Defensive Stance: +2 Str, +4 Con, +2 res. bonus to saves, +4 dodge bonus to AC; Duration 9 rounds; PA for 3 Full Attack +15/+10 waraxe (1d10 + 11, 19-20/x3)

Last edited:

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Ilium said:
[SBLOCK=Lucas' Numbers]Again no need to roll Concentration for riding and casting at the same time. Damage on the magic missile: only 14 points.[/SBLOCK]
[sblock=Ilium]Lucas cast a 'Sudden Maximised' Magic Missile, so he did 25 points of damage. ;) [/sblock]

Remove ads