Heroes of Highdale IC

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
ooc: Sounds good to me, except... aren't I the K(Religion) guy? +7 to find out what the deity is, if any?

Girble tries to take stock of the evidence, "So there's giants suddenly leaving their homes, and eating food... I suppose something happened to their food source on the other side of the mountains. But that doesn't explain the supposed dead giant priest. Is there a giant predator?"

D20Dazza

Explorer
"All good questions friend Girble" Ery says her voice gaining strength "I can't see us answering those questions here though and the trail gets cold. Was there naught else on the giant of interest?"

Ilium

First Post
OOC: Actually Girble does not recognize the medallion as a holy symbol. Of course he's not that familiar with obscure giant religions, except to note that some fathach apparently believe in the return of mighty leaders who will one day drive the scourge of humanity from their ancestral lands (i.e. pretty much everywhere).

And this Fathach's demise isn't actually that much of a mystery. He seems to have a couple of arrow wounds, but his skull was crushed when part of the house fell on him. Apparently he wasn't up on his Knowledge(architecture). :)

In addition to the medallion, he was wearing what appears to be actual leather armor (as opposed to just hides) and carrying a wicked-looking Large heavy mace (with which he apparently removed the main support of the house...).

Viktor nods at Ery's observation. "Yes, the light is fleeting and we don't know how far we'll have to go. If everyone is ready, let's depart." He sends his men back to town to bring a recovery team the next day and the hunters resume the trail. The rest of the afternoon passes quickly and with little conversation as everyone strives to keep pace with the rangy constable. He occasionally dismounts* and checks the trail, but seems to have little trouble following it until the light begins to fade. Finally Viktor shakes his head and says, "If we try to go any further, we'll miss the trail in the dark. I suggest we find a decent spot to camp and continue in the morning." As the others look around, they can finally take the time to appreciate the view. To the West, as the sun sinks over the horizon, the kingdom of Osserik is spread out like an immense patchwork quilt. The farmlands and orchards around nearby Highdale, then the rough foothill country and beyond that, nearly lost against the sunset, the rolling plains of Montcliffe. To the East, the Slayworth mountains now tower overhead, a brooding presence, reminding them all of the mountains' fierce reputation.

Viktor says, "That hollow there looks good for a camp. Should be sheltered from the wind and I don't think it will rain tonight."

*We never actually said everybody was mounted, but I can't see you all going off to track giants on foot. Especially Girble, who would otherwise be left behind.
So tell me who (or if) you want to set up watches, or if there is anything else you want to do before night falls in earnest.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
"Yes let's set up camp there then, when everyone is ready to turn in for the night I'll create an extradimensional space, so we can rest thru the night in relative safety"

OOC: Lets assume that's it's SOP for Lucas to cast Rope Trick( Lasts for 10 hours) most nights as a way of protecting the group, we can also assume that we set up a mock camp as well, so if anyone decided to creep up on us, we have the element of surprise.

If everyone is okay with this, then Lucas will cast Rope Trick 5' above the camp site.

Ferrix

Explorer
"I hate these things." Sirius says dismounting with a clank of his armor and a huff. "It ain't natural, now a tusker, that's a proper mount."

"So, up in that hole you call a safe resting spot then?"

Jdvn1

ooc: Can I assume there's an appropriately sized mount for Girble?

Unused to riding mounts at all, Girble puts a lot of effort into a controlled fall off of his mount. He swings his legs over to one side, turns around, and lowers himself to the ground abruptly. He looks silly, but he keeps his composure. "No, certainly not proper mounts." He looks around the campsite, "Could someone help me with my armor?"

D20Dazza

Explorer
Ery spends the journey snickering at Girble's discomfort and showing off her abilities by standing in the saddle, springing from horseback to the ground and back again and falling from the horse, tucking into a ball, rolling between the feet of Girble's horse and then doing a running remount onto her own mare.

"I still feel uncomfortable leaving the horses out here by themselves" she says as they prepare the camp "Any chance you could work on a spell that will accommodate our horses as well Lucas?" she asks teasingly.

Ilium

First Post
OOC
Jdvn1: we had a big discussion before the database crash in which you were trying to find a mount. I don't remember what came out of it, but I think you ended up with a "small warhorse" because Girble refused to refer to it as a pony. :)

I am again swamped at work and won't get an IC post in today, but should be able to tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Ilium

First Post
I'm swamped again, but I hate to go into the week-end without posting, so...

The group tend their horses and soon the beasts are all properly rubbed down, fed, watered and hobbled. Lucas makes the familiar mystic passes and the knotted rope he carries for this purpose climbs into the air. The end seems to bend around a corner in a way that makes one's eyes water to follow and it goes slack, hanging from nothing.

Viktor seems somewhat dubious about such lodgings but says nothing. However, he does agree with Ery about the horses. "I've never seen a horse that could climb a rope," he observes, "but we should have someone on watch to mind them anyway. Giants aside, there are plenty of bears and blur cats in these mountains that would love a nice bit of horse." He begins to clear a spot for a small fire and offers, "I'll take first watch if you'd like."

Jdvn1

"That sounds like a good idea." Girble helps Viktor with the fire, "Say, how fresh are those tracks we're following? I'd hate to start a fire with giants in the vicinity."

Remove ads