Heroes of Highdale IC

Ilium

First Post
"Right then," Viktor says with a grim smile. "Let's go." Viktor, the four adventurers and and a few local volunteers make their way into the forest and start backtracking the fathach along the lake shore. The tracking isn't difficult near Highdale and even those without much experience at it see signs of the giants' passage. Viktor, however, easily keeps to their trail even when it crosses the streams and rocky slopes leading ever upward into the mountains to the East of the town.

Just before noon, the party comes upon some of the fathach's handiwork. A cottage near the treeline is found burned out and nearly flattened to the ground. A few families live out here, far from Highdale's protective walls, to hunt game and gather the forest's other bounty. This family seems to have been unlucky enough to be in the giants' path. Their modest belongings are scattered across the rocky ground, trampled under oversized boots. As the group spreads out to search through the ruins, Girble is surprised to find [SBLOCK=For Girble]A fathach lying dead, covered with a piece of the cottage's collapsed roof.[/SBLOCK]Of the family members themselves there is at first no sign. That changes when one of the men comes running up to Viktor to report, but can't form words to describe what he's found in the well...

Erethinol, meanwhile, is searching the the site as well and her sharp eyes note something the others had missed.[SBLOCK=For Erethinol]While the entire area is a mess, one thing seems to be missing: There is almost no food from either the house or the small shed that stands open nearby.[/SBLOCK]

The trail leads on from the homestead yet further up into the mountains. Viktor turns to Sirius and Lucas, who happen to be nearby. "It looks like they came straight down out of the high mountains." He shakes his head in dismay. "We don't have the equipment or supplies to go up there. Not at this time of year." He takes a long drink from his waterskin and looks up toward the nearby lofty peaks, where snow has already begun to creep down the mountainside. He shakes his head and says sardonically, "Maybe there really is a giants' pass."

Ferrix

Explorer
"Mountains be home to many mysteries, me kin know that plenty well. A giant's pass is not as unlikely as the myths of it say, they be hard-skinned and thick-skulled brutes compared to common folk." Sirius says to Viktor, "a trek to the mountains would remind me o' home, so will bashin' more giants."

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Have you noticed that there is almost no food in the shed or the ruins?" Ery says to her companions once they have gathered again after their search "Could mean two things I guess, the giants took all the food or the family that lived here managed to escape and take their supplies with them?"

Ilium

First Post
To Sirius, Viktor replies, "I hope you'll have the chance. If there are more of these giants around we have to make sure they can't do this to anyone else."

D20Dazza said:
"Have you noticed that there is almost no food in the shed or the ruins?" Ery says to her companions once they have gathered again after their search "Could mean two things I guess, the giants took all the food or the family that lived here managed to escape and take their supplies with them?"

Viktor, having received the reports of his men, says grimly, "The family didn't escape. It looks like the giants killed them and threw the remains in the well. Once we get back to town I'll come out with some men to recover them for proper burial."

Ferrix

Explorer
Sirius grips his axe tighter at the mention of what happened to the families. "Let's go... I've no urge to wait for another family to end like this."

Ilium

First Post
Viktor replies, "All right, we'll keep after them. Maybe we can find some blankets and things in the remains of the house, here. You men," he says to the guards who have accompanied you. "Give me any food you have. Then search the house for blankets and heavy coats. I'm sure the folks who lived here wouldn't mind us borrowing them under the circumstances." As the men move to comply, Viktor assembles the gathered supplies before him. Though there isn't much, those of you who have traveled in mountains before think it will be sufficient for a couple of days as long as you ration and and don't run into seriously bad weather or try to go toward the mountain peaks.

OOC: Waiting for Jdvn1 to pipe up with his fathach discovery before moving on...

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Ferrix said:
Sirius grips his axe tighter at the mention of what happened to the families. "Let's go... I've no urge to wait for another family to end like this."
"Indeed let us be off from this place, I'm eager to teach these giants a few lessons that they won't soon forget"

D20Dazza

Explorer
"Yes" Ery sniffs, deeply affected by the fate of the farmer and his family "We should enact our vengeance" she growls her delicate hands wiping tears from her cheeks and her voice taking on a steely hardness.

Ilium

First Post
OOC: A little NPC action for Girble here. I know Jdvn1 is around, but I don't think we should wait any longer. Jdvn1: feel free to countermand anything I do and I'll be glad to edit.

Viktor looks up from organizing supplies and asks, "Where has your priestly friend gone?" As the others look around, they spy Girble propping up a piece of the fallen ceiling and clambering under. He emerges a moment later as the others gather around carrying what looks at first to be a battered dinner plate on a chain. As he spreads it on the ground, though, it becomes apparent that it is in fact an oversized necklace. On the medallion is depicted in crude bas-relief a humanoid figure standing on the piled bodies of smaller humanoids. The standing figure holds a sword in one hand and beams of some kind radiate from the other.

"What do you make of this," he asks. "There's a dead fathach under this piece of roof, and it was wearing this. Also seemed to have better clothing that the rest."

Ferrix

Explorer
Ilium said:
OOC: A little NPC action for Girble here. I know Jdvn1 is around, but I don't think we should wait any longer. Jdvn1: feel free to countermand anything I do and I'll be glad to edit.

Viktor looks up from organizing supplies and asks, "Where has your priestly friend gone?" As the others look around, they spy Girble propping up a piece of the fallen ceiling and clambering under. He emerges a moment later as the others gather around carrying what looks at first to be a battered dinner plate on a chain. As he spreads it on the ground, though, it becomes apparent that it is in fact an oversized necklace. On the medallion is depicted in crude bas-relief a humanoid figure standing on the piled bodies of smaller humanoids. The standing figure holds a sword in one hand and beams of some kind radiate from the other.

"What do you make of this," he asks. "There's a dead fathach under this piece of roof, and it was wearing this. Also seemed to have better clothing that the rest."

"Holy symbol? 'haps that one was a priest o' sorts." Sirius comments.

Remove ads