• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E FREE PAIZO PDF - Player's Guide to Rise of the Runelords

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Of course... running a 15–20 level campaign is probably too much for new players anyway. :)

But yeah, the Pathfinder Adventure Paths are not gonna be cakewalks. That said, each AP we do, we learn a bit more about how to build them. Creating an Adventure Path is a lot more complex than a single adventue, and some thigns that are good for a smaller adventure don't work as well in an AP.

One thing we WILL be including in Pathfinder and the GameMastery modules, though, are designer's sidebars where the authors and editors take a moment to talk about tougher encounters, design theory, and whatever else. Similar to the designer sidebars in "Red Hand of Doom," actually. So hopefully we'll be able to note places that might end up being TPK machines to certian types of parties now and then.

Stormborn

Explorer
Treebore said:
What kind of adventure would it be if death wasn't a very real possibility? Boring, is what it would be. I wouldn't buy adventures if PC death wasn't a very real possibility. Even probable.

In your opinion, which I completly support as a viable way to play but do not feel is the only option. Some players feel that if life is all that at risk then its not very interesting, and much prefer failed challanges to result in negative consequences in the campaign world (favored NPC death, gates to Hell opening, loss of position and honor, etc) than PC death, which for many is the end of a campaign.

All of which is beside the point. As freyar said, Paizo APs aren't really for every group and knowning that going in is important.

James: thanks for posting. That kind of information is exaclty what I feel is needed in more adventures. Not only does it help the rest of us be better GMs, it helps to adjust modules when neccessary to accomidate very differnt groups.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
I also strongly recomend the use of Hero Points or something like that... some sort of mechanic that gives the PCs "Get out of peril free once in a while" is good for any game, really.

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, I use "luck points" kind of like what are in Unearthed Arcana. Yes, even in my C&C game.

In the year or so I have been using them I would say it has prevented PC death at least a dozen times.
Still, Characters have died. Like in our last C&C session they finally found a "True Ressurection" scroll, which was used to bring back the cleric players Ranger character who died a year ago, campaign time.

The group is fine with the player playing two characters, his Ranger, and the Cleric he rolled up to replace his Ranger.

So everyone is happy.

Basically the "Luck points" work as a second chance to survive, either by getting to reroll a critical failed save, or to permanently burn one to have them stabilize at -10, rather than have the damage take them to -36.

So it helps keep the PC's alive, but still drives home to the player that their PC should be dead, but due to "great luck" they are not.

So I highly recommend a "luck point" system to help PC's live longer. Yet, still know they barely avoided "Death" coming to collect their soul.

Treebore

First Post
Stormborn said:
In your opinion, which I completly support as a viable way to play but do not feel is the only option. Some players feel that if life is all that at risk then its not very interesting, and much prefer failed challanges to result in negative consequences in the campaign world (favored NPC death, gates to Hell opening, loss of position and honor, etc) than PC death, which for many is the end of a campaign.

All of which is beside the point. As freyar said, Paizo APs aren't really for every group and knowning that going in is important.

James: thanks for posting. That kind of information is exaclty what I feel is needed in more adventures. Not only does it help the rest of us be better GMs, it helps to adjust modules when neccessary to accomidate very differnt groups.

Yeah, for games where my DM "keeps me alive" it just loses something for me, to where I can't really feel the sense of accomplishment I get when I know my PC avoided death to do so.

So I can play that way, but it just isn't the same kind of fun for me.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
James Jacobs said:
I also strongly recomend the use of Hero Points or something like that... some sort of mechanic that gives the PCs "Get out of peril free once in a while" is good for any game, really.

It is, indeed. It is also not a bad idea to regularly mention to your players, particularly the ones who tend to hoard, that they are going to feel a bit silly if they die wth action/hero/luck points or healing potions on their PC sheet. Sometimes PCs do die, but it need not be because of an oversight.

crazy_cat

Adventurer
GlassJaw said:
Just downloaded and took a quick peak - first impression is that it looks really cool.
Exactly my thoughts. Very impressed (and glad I've got a dead tree copy on its way as well.)

takasi

First Post
James Jacobs said:

We use Action Points. Same progression as listed in the Eberron campaign setting, but it requires two action points to "cheat death" (one when you get below zero and another when you hit -10).

One issue I've had since running or playing in Age of Worms, Shackled City, Savage Tide and now War of the Burning Sky is that there do seem to be very few "consequences" factored into the story. If you look at adventures for level 15, for example, the stories very rarely, if ever, assume that something in the past was a failure. It's a difficult thing to do in a module, let alone an entire campaign, but nevertheless it's a drawback. Therefore sometimes the only real consequence is death and new characters I suppose. Or veer away from the AP, diminishing its value to begin with.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
Double sweet!

I am always quick to bitch that they don't come out fast enough for my taste. I am happy that they shoved my foot in my mouth and came out with it already. Thanks for the heads up.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
James Jacobs said:
Of course... running a 15–20 level campaign is probably too much for new players anyway. :)

But yeah, the Pathfinder Adventure Paths are not gonna be cakewalks. That said, each AP we do, we learn a bit more about how to build them. Creating an Adventure Path is a lot more complex than a single adventue, and some thigns that are good for a smaller adventure don't work as well in an AP.

One thing we WILL be including in Pathfinder and the GameMastery modules, though, are designer's sidebars where the authors and editors take a moment to talk about tougher encounters, design theory, and whatever else. Similar to the designer sidebars in "Red Hand of Doom," actually. So hopefully we'll be able to note places that might end up being TPK machines to certian types of parties now and then.

Thanks for the response! My main regret about Paizo's APs is that they seem like excellent campaigns, while I'm going to have to wait a while to find a good group to play them! And the sidebars sound like a great idea.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads