Pathfinder 2E Confession: I Want to Run PF2 But I Don't Want to Learn It

Retreater

Legend
Things like the caveat "you can't take another creature with you" for Dimension Door are just ways to keep players from abusing the spell like we saw all the time at my table in 3.x/PF1.
"I'm going to put a big sack over the villain's head, dimension door over the volcano, dump the sack, cast feather fall on myself, then - as I float down - cast gust of wind to push me out of the way. Yay, spellcaster cast 'win the scenario!' Why do we even have martial characters?"

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
Yeah, if you were making your own encounters I would suggest eschewing extreme encounters entirely until you are comfortable with the system and the party. Even playing APs there are sometimes difficult encounters that make me feel like the designers did not know what they were doing (final battle of Strength of Thousands, I looking at you).
Yeah. The only thing I haven't seen yet is that the system expects PCs to be fresh (full HP/spells/etc) in a fight. An easy encounter when you're low on HP/spells/healing potions/magic item charges can be extreme for this reason.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah. The only thing I haven't seen yet is that the system expects PCs to be fresh (full HP/spells/etc) in a fight. An easy encounter when you're low on HP/spells/healing potions/magic item charges can be extreme for this reason.

That's less and less true as you get up in levels, simply because fights in PF2e are often fast enough its actually hard to blow through a significant number of your resources in one fight, even an uphill one. And of course a lot of healing can be done non-magically if someone is willing to invest in the Medicine skill and a couple of skill feats.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm of two minds. Its probably not going to break anything to start earlier--only things that are liable to change significantly are a couple classes that needed more cooking--but on the other hand, we're not talking about waiting a long time, and why spend money on books that will be (mildly) obsolete in less than four months?

Reynard

Legend
I'm of two minds. Its probably not going to break anything to start earlier--only things that are liable to change significantly are a couple classes that needed more cooking--but on the other hand, we're not talking about waiting a long time, and why spend money on books that will be (mildly) obsolete in less than four months?
To be clear, I already own the 2E core book and Bestiary in print as well as all the PDF stuff that was in the big bundle earlier this year.

Thomas Shey

Legend
To be clear, I already own the 2E core book and Bestiary in print as well as all the PDF stuff that was in the big bundle earlier this year.

Then there's probably no overwhelming reason to wait around. If people happen to play classes get a tune-up, it'll be all to the good from their point of view, far as I can tell (and if you only use the core book, only ones liable to come up are the Alchemist and Wizard from what I understand).

Staffan

Legend
Then there's probably no overwhelming reason to wait around. If people happen to play classes get a tune-up, it'll be all to the good from their point of view, far as I can tell (and if you only use the core book, only ones liable to come up are the Alchemist and Wizard from what I understand).
The Champion is getting a bit of a makeover with the removal of alignment, I think.

Remove ads