Pathfinder 2E Confession: I Want to Run PF2 But I Don't Want to Learn It

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Here's what may be a dumb question: how hard is it to run PF2 NOT using an AP?
I think its easier than you think. The real key in PF2 is paying attention to CR. If a fight is rated severe/extreme its going to be very challenging for rookies and can sometimes be for pros too. Stick to a healthy does of moderate encounters and you should have a good time with PF2, IME.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Having played in several PF2e APs now, I can't see anything intrinsically difficult about running a set of home-brewed adventures with it. You just have to use the encounter creation system to guide what you're willing to throw at them, because PF2e is generally not kidding about how its difficulties land. If I ever get around to running it, that's what I'm probably going to do.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
If that seems difficult to parse, I hate to know what would be easy.
If it's not difficult for you, help me out. Despite the glaring typo/contradiction:

• Your action options are listed for you, on the Player Reference Card (PRC). And they're on page 65 of the Hero's Handbook. And they're in your class description.
  • Once you've corralled these options, each one gets special treatment based on its trait, which according to the PRC are Move, Manipulate, Concentrate, Secret, and Attack. Almost as many traits as there are PRC actions.
  • When Restrained, you can't use the attack/manipulate trait-actions. Except to attempt to Escape (which is not a PRC action). So you can use Interact or Strike as long as you're attempting to Escape. Otherwise, no.
  • The condition starts with "you can't move," but doesn't mention the Move Trait. It says that Interact and Strike are okay (as long as you're trying to Escape), so one might assume that other actions involving movement are okay too, as long as you're trying to escape. Which leaves:
  • Drop Prone, Leap, and Stand don't have the attack or manipulate traits, nor do they involve movement (like Step and Stride explicitly do), so they must be viable options while Restrained.

So can I Leap to avoid a Bowling Ball of Doom while I'm restrained? Can I Interact with the Bowling Ball as long as it's part of my Escape attempt? Is there an "everything else" action, since my action list seems pretty restrictive, and can I use it to avoid the BBoD, or does it depend on what traits the Everything Else action has (or doesn't have)?

Thomas Shey

Legend
If it's not difficult for you, help me out. Despite the glaring typo/contradiction:

• Your action options are listed for you, on the Player Reference Card (PRC). And they're on page 65 of the Hero's Handbook. And they're in your class description.
  • Once you've corralled these options, each one gets special treatment based on its trait, which according to the PRC are Move, Manipulate, Concentrate, Secret, and Attack. Almost as many traits as there are PRC actions.
  • When Restrained, you can't use the attack/manipulate trait-actions. Except to attempt to Escape (which is not a PRC action). So you can use Interact or Strike as long as you're attempting to Escape. Otherwise, no.
  • The condition starts with "you can't move," but doesn't mention the Move Trait. It says that Interact and Strike are okay (as long as you're trying to Escape), so one might assume that other actions involving movement are okay too, as long as you're trying to escape. Which leaves:
  • Drop Prone, Leap, and Stand don't have the attack or manipulate traits, nor do they involve movement (like Step and Stride explicitly do), so they must be viable options while Restrained.

So can I Leap to avoid a Bowling Ball of Doom while I'm restrained? Can I Interact with the Bowling Ball as long as it's part of my Escape attempt? Is there an "everything else" action, since my action list seems pretty restrictive, and can I use it to avoid the BBoD, or does it depend on what traits the Everything Else action has (or doesn't have)?
The point in it is that some attack actions can be used to escape; i.e. damaging a web. The "can't move" is phrased that way in case there's a Move action that doesn't actually involve moving (i.e. it was future proofing). Same thing with the Manipulate thing.

What is difficult about that? Would it somehow be better if it took up pages to spell out each possible case?

Remove ads