Pathfinder 2E Confession: I Want to Run PF2 But I Don't Want to Learn It

Reynard

Legend
I'm old. I'm tired. I'm currently in the last year of an engineering degree (going to back at nearly 50 is tough, kids! stay in school).

I really like what I see in reading PF2 and I really want to run it. But I don't know if I have the brain plasticity, time or wherewithal to actually learn to do so.

It runs easier than it reads. I had more exciting college textbooks. That said it isn’t really hard on play. If you like short videos the How It’s Played channel on YouTube is fantastic for illustrating specific pieces of the rules from the basics up.

When I’m reviewing something while prepping i frequently regency those videos.

Foundry pretty much does it for you. If, VTT is an option of course.
He’s right. The PF2 Foundry implementation is fantastic. It will do alot of the lifting for you. Even more if you are planning to run one of the PF2 officially implemented Adventure Paths.

I’m currently running their official Abomination Vaults and honestly the ease of prep it totally worth the price.

Reynard

Legend
He’s right. The PF2 Foundry implementation is fantastic. It will do alot of the lifting for you. Even more if you are planning to run one of the PF2 officially implemented Adventure Paths.

I’m currently running their official Abomination Vaults and honestly the ease of prep it totally worth the price.
I assume I still have to understand the rules to effectively run the game, though.

I actually bought foundry with the express purpose of using it to run PF2 (since it is touted as being the best implementation) and I haven't had time to learn that either.
There is a bit of a learning curve to using Foundry for sure, but it really does make things a lot easier. I'm 14 sessions into running PF2e and the first couple sessions were slow while we figured out how to do stuff in Foundry, but it's gotten better as we play. It probably helps we play weekly so people don't go too long without looking at the interface.

Do you have an existing group or would you be making a new group to play? Having switched my group from 5e to PF2e recently, we kinda just learned as we went. I read up on the key bits and ran the Beginner Box which made learning the system and Foundry really easy. The journal entries for each room explain the PF2e mechanic and then how you'd resolve it in Foundry. I can't recommend it enough for someone learning both. Abomination Vaults is a good follow-up too with how well designed it is, as long as it being a dungeon crawl doesn't chase you off.

Remove ads