D&D General And the Druid Explodes: Understanding the AD&D Design Space's Legacy

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I don’t want too much realism or too much technical knowledge of magic in game.

The lowest point of all Star Wars films and shows for me was midichlorians.

I don’t want to know how the force works; I don’t want to know about “the weave.” Magic just “is.”

I am ok with druids don’t wear armor because “religion.” Say no more—-even if it is all there for game balance when first conceived as a lot of this seems to be. But also don’t do that to the point of no fun/enjoyment either.

Don’t get behind the stage and watch the puppeteer. Just watch the show.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

I don’t want to know how the force works; I don’t want to know about “the weave.” Magic just “is.”

I am ok with druids don’t wear armor because “religion.” Say no more—-even if it is all there for game balance when first conceived as a lot of this seems to be. But also don’t do that to the point of no fun/enjoyment either.

Harder to do when it's your show, but I appreciate the principle.

Voadam

Legend

I am a bit the opposite. :)

I hate midichlorians because it is, in my opinion, a narratively poor explanation of the Force, not because it is an explanation of the Force.

I am fine with fleshing out how magic works in various ways, I really like the metaphysics of Shadowrun and Mage the Ascension for example. I love playing a wizard working with the magical metaphysics of the world fairly in-depth. I like weaving it into my games as DM.

Remove ads