Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

Cleon

Legend
Based on the precedent that spells with attack rolls usually don't allow saves, I'd slightly prefer dropping the Ref save, but it's not a big deal. I think we're pretty well split.

Let's say we drop the Ref save. Give the slayers more weapons. ;) We can limit the X/day more to make up for it. Maybe just 1/day.

Very well.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Alright, then.

Bind Wings (Su): Once per day, an undead dragon slayer may spend a full attack action to make a single attack imbued with the ability to bind a dragon's wings. If the attack hits a creature with the dragon subtype, bands of force wrap around the dragon, preventing flight for 1d6 rounds. If the dragon is in flight at the time that this ability takes effect, the dragon falls immediately, taking falling damage (unless prevented by a feather fall spell or similar ability). The bands of force are immune to damage and cannot be burst by Strength checks, but they can be destroyed by any effect that can destroy a wall of force. A bound dragon may escape with a successful Escape Artist check (DC equals 10 + undead dragon slayer's HD + undead dragon slayer's Cha modifier).

Whew, that's done. What menu item is next?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Alright, then.

Bind Wings (Su): Once per day, an undead dragon slayer may spend a full attack action to make a single attack imbued with the ability to bind a dragon's wings. If the attack hits a creature with the dragon subtype, bands of force wrap around the dragon, preventing flight for 1d6 rounds. If the dragon is in flight at the time that this ability takes effect, the dragon falls immediately, taking falling damage (unless prevented by a feather fall spell or similar ability). The bands of force are immune to damage and cannot be burst by Strength checks, but they can be destroyed by any effect that can destroy a wall of force. A bound dragon may escape with a successful Escape Artist check (DC equals 10 + undead dragon slayer's HD + undead dragon slayer's Cha modifier).

Looks good. Updated.

Whew, that's done. What menu item is next?

Anti-Dragon Evocation, Dazzling Display, Improved Dazzling Display, and Scry Dragon all still have X's or ?'s.

freyar

3/day on the evocation and scry?
Dazzling Display: 120 ft, 1d6 rounds, DC 40?? Concentration check? Let's figure out the improved version once we've settled on those numbers. I've tried to aim the DC so it's somewhat useful vs an adult or mature adult.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
3/day on the evocation and scry?
Dazzling Display: 120 ft, 1d6 rounds, DC 40?? Concentration check? Let's figure out the improved version once we've settled on those numbers. I've tried to aim the DC so it's somewhat useful vs an adult or mature adult.

3/day is fine for the usage, but why are you set on making it a fixed DC?

Didn't we settle on the DC being 10 + HD + Cha modifier?

freyar

Nah, I don't actually care. I was just picking a number.

We did 10+HD+Cha for the wing bind to make it effective. But I'd rather go back to the standard 10+HD/2+key stat most of the time, I guess. Do we really want to make all the DCs nonstandard? EDIT: note also that I only did that for the Concentration check, not the Fort save. Lots of monsters have abilities opposed by flat skill check DCs.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Nah, I don't actually care. I was just picking a number.

We did 10+HD+Cha for the wing bind to make it effective. But I'd rather go back to the standard 10+HD/2+key stat most of the time, I guess. Do we really want to make all the DCs nonstandard? EDIT: note also that I only did that for the Concentration check, not the Fort save. Lots of monsters have abilities opposed by flat skill check DCs.

Well, if we worried about making the DC high enough to be effective for Wing Bind, doesn't the same concern apply to the UDS's other special attacks?

Remove ads