Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

Shade

Monster Junkie
Bind Wings (Su): X/day, an undead dragon slayer may spend a full attack action to make a single attack imbued with the ability to bind a dragon's wings. If the attack hits a creature with the dragon subtype, bands of force wrap around the dragon, preventing flight for XdX rounds. If the dragon is in flight at the time that this ability takes effect, the dragon falls immediately, taking falling damage (unless prevented by a feather fall spell or similar ability). The bands of force are immune to damage and cannot be burst by Strength checks, but they can be destroyed by any effect that can destroy a wall of force. A bound dragon may escape with a successful Escape Artist check (DC equals 10 + undead dragon slayer's HD + undead dragon slayer's Cha modifier).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Something like this?

Bind Wings (Su): X/day, an undead dragon slayer may spend a full attack action to imbue a single attack with the ability to bind a dragon's wings. It may imbue any attack that takes a standard action, including any spell that requires an attack roll. If the attack hits a creature with the dragon subtype, bands of force wrap around the dragon, preventing flight for XdX rounds, unless the dragon makes a DC X Ref save. If the dragon is in flight at the time that this ability takes effect, the dragon falls immediately, taking falling damage (unless prevented by a feather fall spell or similar ability). The bands of force are immune to damage and cannot be burst by Strength checks, but they can be destroyed by any effect that can destroy a wall of force. The dragon may also escape by making a DC X Escape Artist check. The DC for the skill check and the save are given by 10+the undead dragon slayer's HD+the undead dragon slayer's Charisma modifier.

Did we ever decide on a duration? I didn't see one just now.

EDIT: Shade the ninja!

freyar

1d4 rounds maybe?

The difference between the two versions above is if we want to allow a Ref save to avoid. Since it's part of the attack, I'd be fine with leaving it off, but it's not a big deal to me.

Cleon

Legend
1d4 rounds maybe?

The difference between the two versions above is if we want to allow a Ref save to avoid. Since it's part of the attack, I'd be fine with leaving it off, but it's not a big deal to me.

I wouldn't mind making the duration a bit longer, such as 1d6 or 2d4 rounds.

freyar

Based on the precedent that spells with attack rolls usually don't allow saves, I'd slightly prefer dropping the Ref save, but it's not a big deal. I think we're pretty well split.

Let's say we drop the Ref save. Give the slayers more weapons. ;) We can limit the X/day more to make up for it. Maybe just 1/day.

Remove ads