• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Any single attack. No, it doesn't imbue a following round's attack, the full attack action is the imbued attack. I guess we should spell that out. And I guess it doesn't have to be ranged.

I don't think it should allow a Ref save if it requires an attack roll (as per usual). This can help distinguish it from the closed source spell. ;) What do you think about Escape Artist? I'm kind of inclined to leave it out.

Bind Wings (Su): X/day, an undead dragon slayer may spend a full attack action to make a single attack (including any spell that requires an attack roll) with the ability to bind a dragon's wings. If the attack hits a creature with the dragon subtype, bands of force wrap around the dragon, preventing flight for XdX rounds. If the dragon is in flight at the time that this ability takes effect, the dragon falls immediately, taking falling damage (unless prevented by a feather fall spell or similar ability). The bands of force are immune to damage and cannot be burst by Strength checks, but they can be destroyed by any effect that can destroy a wall of force.

Cleon

Legend
Any single attack. No, it doesn't imbue a following round's attack, the full attack action is the imbued attack. I guess we should spell that out. And I guess it doesn't have to be ranged.

How about "an undead dragon slayer may spend a full attack action to make a single attack imbued with the ability to bind a dragon's wings. It may imbue any attack it can normally make with a standard action, including any spell that requires an attack roll."?

I don't think it should allow a Ref save if it requires an attack roll (as per usual). This can help distinguish it from the closed source spell. ;) What do you think about Escape Artist? I'm kind of inclined to leave it out.

I'm leaning towards keeping a saving throw, or maybe a check of some sort to escape the bonds. If it only requires an attack roll it could be used with a touch attack and virtually always bind the targets wings, considering that dragons usually have pathetic touch AC.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So, a save that can be substituted with an Escape Artist check?

Probably not, as the EA check can be made anytime with the spell, but the save is only to avoid the initial attack. Upon futher consideration, I'm content with just the EA check to escape.

Cleon

Legend
Probably not, as the EA check can be made anytime with the spell, but the save is only to avoid the initial attack. Upon futher consideration, I'm content with just the EA check to escape.

Could we have a Reflex save or Escape Artist check to escape, then?

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm. A Ref save to escape would be ok with me. Or we could allow a high DC Str check to burst the force net.

I thought these are supposed to be Unbreakable Force Bonds that the victim needs to wiggle free from?

Besides, I'd rather not have a Strength check, since dragons tend to have very good Str scores.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I thought these are supposed to be Unbreakable Force Bonds that the victim needs to wiggle free from?

That's the way I understood it, hence the Escape Artist check in the spell.

I like the EA check alone, since dragons usually have ridiculous saves. :devil:

Remove ads