Converting monsters from Second Edition Monstrous Compendiums

Cleon

Legend
I don't like the idea of DR depending on the type of critter that attacks it. Just seems weird (and contrary to the spirit of DR). We could go DR 5/- if you prefer.

Yes, I'm not that keen on the idea of type-specific DC either. We could give it some kind of "Parry Dragon" special ability, but I think it's got more than enough special abilities as it is!

DR 5 should be enough.

Do you agree to Unholy Toughness?

That's one it definitely needs. Indeed, most Undead should get it as standard!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Updated.

Should we work out Improved Dazzling Display now? Maybe the undead dragon slayer can use it as a move action? Or do you prefer to boost the range and DC? Another option is to have it do more than dazzle the dragon. Thoughts?

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

Should we work out Improved Dazzling Display now? Maybe the undead dragon slayer can use it as a move action? Or do you prefer to boost the range and DC? Another option is to have it do more than dazzle the dragon. Thoughts?

That's not much use, to be honest, since it can make it as part of a full attack action. It'll almost always be better off Full-Attacking AND Dazzling.

I suggest allowing it to Dazzle as a free action when it makes a standard attack, give it a bonus to the Dazzle DC, or both.

freyar

I suggest allowing it to Dazzle as a free action when it makes a standard attack, give it a bonus to the Dazzle DC, or both.

OK, this!

Improved Dazzling Display (Su): The undead dragon slayer may make a dazzling display as part of a standard attack action or a full attack action, and the dazzling display DC gains a +2 enhancement bonus (see Dazzling Display above). To select this special ability, the undead dragon slayer must already have the Dazzling Display special attack.

Cleon

Legend
OK, this!

Improved Dazzling Display (Su): The undead dragon slayer may make a dazzling display as part of a standard attack action or a full attack action, and the dazzling display DC gains a +2 enhancement bonus (see Dazzling Display above). To select this special ability, the undead dragon slayer must already have the Dazzling Display special attack.

That'll do.

freyar

It's hard to add any if we can't think of them! :p I honestly can't think of much else we could do. Maybe something allowing Spell Penetration to stack with Anti-Dragon Casting?

Cleon

Legend
It's hard to add any if we can't think of them! :p I honestly can't think of much else we could do. Maybe something allowing Spell Penetration to stack with Anti-Dragon Casting?

Well it's got Anti-Dragon Casting, Anti-Dragon Evocation, Enchant Dragon, Scry Dragon, Transmute Dragon as "dragonslayer spell abilities", we just need Improved versions of those.

Hold on, where's its "Enchant Dragon" additional ability vanished to?

freyar

Enchant Dragon never seemed to make it to homebrews. I've added it at 3/day. Updated.

The question is which of those can we improve without being boring? :p I think there are one or two easy improvements to Anti-Dragon Casting, but I'm not so sure about some of the others.

Remove ads