Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Yes. And I suppose some Listen wouldn't hurt, either, if we want more. However, we could put 15 ranks each into Know. (nature), Know. (religion), Know. (the planes), and Diplomacy, then stash the last 2 points in Spot (or really anywhere). What say you to that?

Cleon

Legend
Yes. And I suppose some Listen wouldn't hurt, either, if we want more. However, we could put 15 ranks each into Know. (nature), Know. (religion), Know. (the planes), and Diplomacy, then stash the last 2 points in Spot (or really anywhere). What say you to that?

Come to think of it, its got SLAs so some ranks in Concentration wouldn't go amiss either.

How about 10 ranks each in the three Knowledges, plus 16 ranks each in Concentration and Diplomacy?

Hold on, I just realized the current Spot +20 was a copy-paste from Father-of-all-the-Turtles which hasn't been adjusted for the Wisdom increase.

The "Godfather Turtle" ought to be Spot +24 due to it having 19 ranks in that skill.

Updating the Grandfather-Of-All-The-Turtles Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
That seems good to me! What do you think for feats? Something to improve the SLAs perhaps?

Seems we're agreed. Let's see.

Skill Ranks: Concentration 16, Diplomacy 16, Knowledge (nature) 10, Knowledge (religion) 10, Knowledge (the planes) 10, Spot 19, Swim 0

Skills: Concentration +24, Diplomacy +19, Knowledge (nature) +11, Knowledge (religion) +11, Knowledge (the planes) +11, Spot +24, Survival +5 (+7 aboveground and on other planes), Swim +21

What do you think for feats? Something to improve the SLAs perhaps?

That'd make sense.

Quicken SLA (greater dispel magic) and/or Quicken SLA (plane shift) would be the obvious choices, which leaves either one or two feats.

Empower SLA would be of little use, since only its heroes' feast has a variable numeric effect.

Augment Summoning would appear to be the only other magic-boosting feat that'd be of much use. Spell Penetration isn't of any use considering its SLA selection and Combat Casting is superfluous for a creature with Concentration +24.

How about Epic Reflexes and/or Epic Endurance?

freyar

I don't actualy see the skills updated in the working draft, which seems to have been last edited on Sept 24. Maybe the edit didn't take.

I think I'd like Quicken SLA (greater dispel), Augment Summoning, and Epic Endurance, but I could be persuaded to swap one of the latter 2 for Epic Reflexes.

Cleon

Legend
I don't actualy see the skills updated in the working draft, which seems to have been last edited on Sept 24. Maybe the edit didn't take.

I remember editing it but it sure ain't there now.

Oh well, better try updating the Grandfather-Of-All-The-Turtles Working Draft skills again.

I think I'd like Quicken SLA (greater dispel), Augment Summoning, and Epic Endurance, but I could be persuaded to swap one of the latter 2 for Epic Reflexes.

Epic Endurance doesn't really bring much to the table, so I favour Augment Summoning, Epic Reflexes and Quicken Spell-Like Ability (greater dispel magic).

freyar

I'd be happy with that choice of feats. I mainly picked Epic Endurance just as something different. :p

What do you think about treasure? I don't think similar "messengers of the gods" type monsters usually have much, but we could give it some items if you like.

Cleon

Legend
I'd be happy with that choice of feats. I mainly picked Epic Endurance just as something different. :p

What do you think about treasure? I don't think similar "messengers of the gods" type monsters usually have much, but we could give it some items if you like.

Well one of the legendary turtles we are basing this on is credited with giving a magic sword to the founder of a Vietnamese imperial dynasty, so we could maybe have something linked to that. Maybe a smallish chance for expensive magic items or even minor artifacts, with a note that these are sacred gifts from the gods so people who steal them had better watch out!

That reminds me, once of the reasons I gave them heroes' feast was a legend about a giant turtle turning into an island, and another legend about some starving pilgrims on an island (which I think/hope was the same island) who were saved when "Miraculously, a boat containing food and water appeared by the shore".

The heroes feast was for the food and water, but I forgot about the boat! A minor creation spell wouldn't be big enough at 1 cubic feet per level, so I'm thinking it'd have to be a magic item like a feather token swan boat.

This sounds like I'm trying to talk myself into a treasure of "items", but I'm still not sure. We'd have to go back to explaining how the turtle's carrying the dang things!

freyar

Maybe it's easier to drop the treasure if we don't want to get back to the magnificent mansion or similar thing.

Cleon

Legend
Maybe it's easier to drop the treasure if we don't want to get back to the magnificent mansion or similar thing.

I'm OK with the "Treasure: None" approach that entails.

Alternatively, we could have a "Treasure: None (but see description)" and add a note in the background text that they occasionally transport magic items on behalf of an Outer Plane power.

Remove ads