Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Unfortunately, both those threads are currently busy - one with the diabolical version of the Bloody Bones, the other with the Undead Dragon Slayer.

How about the Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin thread?

I checked that one and it's definitely resting, and a Snapping Turtle is a Real World creature (although we don't need a conversion for the regular animal, as it's in Stormwrack.

Upon reflection, Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin is the best thread out of the available open options, so I'll just start the upgrade conversion there.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK then, how about this?

Turtle Mansion (Su): A grandfather-of-all-turtles has a magically-maintained air pocket within its shell. The grandfather-of-all-turtles can teleport any creature within 30 ft (and its equipment) into the air pocket as a swift? action. The air pocket can support X Large creatures, ... Creatures inside the air pocket can breathe for an unlimited period of time, but the Turtle Mansion does not provide food or drink.

Cleon

Legend
OK then, how about this?

Turtle Mansion (Su): A grandfather-of-all-turtles has a magically-maintained air pocket within its shell. The grandfather-of-all-turtles can teleport any creature within 30 ft (and its equipment) into the air pocket as a swift? action. The air pocket can support X Large creatures, ... Creatures inside the air pocket can breathe for an unlimited period of time, but the Turtle Mansion does not provide food or drink.

I was thinking more of an item storage area like a leomund's secret chest. I didn't come across any stories of mythic turtles "disappearing" and "reappearing" people.

The Vietnamese legendary turtle we are drawing some inspiration from appears to carry things in its mouth or on its back, so we could give it a more "realistic" style of carrying stuff.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, I don't think it needs any more ranks in Spot and Swim. I suppose Spot never hurts, though. Kind of hard to think of more appropriate skills for this critter, though. Maybe a couple of Knowledge skills, like religion and nature. What else?

Cleon

Legend
Well, I don't think it needs any more ranks in Spot and Swim. I suppose Spot never hurts, though. Kind of hard to think of more appropriate skills for this critter, though. Maybe a couple of Knowledge skills, like religion and nature. What else?

Knowledge in Nature, Religion or The Planes all make sense for something that sometimes acts as an intermediary between Earth, Heaven and the Gods.

Maybe Diplomacy too?

Remove ads