Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
Why not just apply the Kaiju template to an ordinary Giant Turtle?

Well, if you're talking about the Dragon #289 Kaiju template that isn't OGL so we don't have permission to use it.

The beastie'd also end up a good deal bigger. The Kaiju template would turn a Giant Sea Turtle into a 48 HD Colossal Magical Beast, which is twice the size and HD of the current draft.

More significantly, the template doesn't have many of the magical abilities we've been talking about, nor does it provide the high mental stats we're after - a Kaiju Giant Sea Turtle would have Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 24.

Quartz

Hero
Well, if you're talking about the Dragon #289 Kaiju template that isn't OGL so we don't have permission to use it.

That's a pretty big no-no. :( It's a pity, as the weather-controlling powers would have been very thematic.

More significantly, the template doesn't have many of the magical abilities we've been talking about, nor does it provide the high mental stats we're after - a Kaiju Giant Sea Turtle would have Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 24.

You could put the Paragon template on as well - Paragon gives +15 to all stats. A Paragon Kaiju (as opposed to a Kaiju Paragon - the order of the templates matters) would have INT 17, Wis 27, Cha 39.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Quartz, welcome to the CC, please feel free to join in all you like!

But I don't really think applying templates is the way to go; the CC is mostly about doing unique conversions. These critters need TLC. ;)

Cleon, I will agree to Summon Chelonians. And we should queue up the giant snapping turtles for an overhaul (why do I feel like we've done something with these recently, though?).

Cleon

Legend
You could put the Paragon template on as well - Paragon gives +15 to all stats. A Paragon Kaiju (as opposed to a Kaiju Paragon - the order of the templates matters) would have INT 17, Wis 27, Cha 39.

Yes, giving the Kaiju another template can give it an Int different from 2. That's how the Dragon article gave the Kaiju Monstrous Centipede Hotu-Bakete Int 6 - by adding the Half-Fiend template.

Besides, the CC conversions should be original, not just applying templates that already exist. Especially ones that appear in licensed products.

It's more fun that way. :cool:

Cleon

Legend
Cleon, I will agree to Summon Chelonians.

I'll add it to the Grandfather-Of-All-The-Turtles Working Draft.

Presumably the numbers and the once/day agree with you.

And we should queue up the giant snapping turtles for an overhaul.

Shall I start a upgrade conversion for them then?

(why do I feel like we've done something with these recently, though?).

We did conversions for the Nikt'oo and the Snapper. Those might have reminded you of it.

freyar

Yes, the whole summoning works for me.

Maybe we should just do the giant snapping turtles here when we're done with granddaddy? You're right, anyway, it is probably some other turtle critter that reminded me.

Anyway, any other special abilities for these? I have to say, I think they're looking pretty good. Unless you want to boost the threat range, damage, or crit multiplier on the bite just to make them that much more formidable. :devil:

Cleon

Legend
Yes, the whole summoning works for me.

That's means that bit's done then.

Maybe we should just do the giant snapping turtles here when we're done with granddaddy? You're right, anyway, it is probably some other turtle critter that reminded me.

The Giant Snapper's from the 1st edition Monster Manual originally and was reprinted in a couple of 2nd edition Monstrous Compendia (MC5 Greyhawk and the Second Monstrous Annual).

That suggests it belongs in Converting First Edition Monsters or the Second Edition Compendium thread.

We did the Giant Sea Turtle, Ferry Turtle and the Nikt'oo in Converting prehistoric creatures. I forget why those were in that thread - none of them are really "prehistoric" - but I guess it made sense at the time.

We've got the Cave Bear to do in the Prehistoric thread, though, so I'd rather not do the turtle there.

So do you prefer the Compendium thread or the First Edition thread? Neither are busy at the moment.

Anyway, any other special abilities for these? I have to say, I think they're looking pretty good. Unless you want to boost the threat range, damage, or crit multiplier on the bite just to make them that much more formidable. :devil:

I'm OK with what we have at the moment for its attacks. I didn't come across any folklore about them fighting, so I'm not that keen on a crit multiple.

I'd still like to give them an ability to help them transport stuff. Maybe an ability to phase-shift items into and out of an internal storage organ?

Their Swallow Whole ability allows them to carry a couple of horses in their stomach while shrunk to the size of a terrapin. If their stomachs are extradimensional, maybe the rest of their insides are too?

freyar

I guess the giant snapping turtle should count as "first edition."

Interesting idea. Perhaps there is an air pocket inside their shell somewhere? Dimension door in and out?

Cleon

Legend
That suggests it belongs in Converting First Edition Monsters or the Second Edition Compendium thread.
I guess the giant snapping turtle should count as "first edition."

That'd suit me, except we're using that thread for some bony despots.

Unfortunately, both those threads are currently busy - one with the diabolical version of the Bloody Bones, the other with the Undead Dragon Slayer.

How about the Converting "Real World" Animals and Vermin thread?

I checked that one and it's definitely resting, and a Snapping Turtle is a Real World creature (although we don't need a conversion for the regular animal, as it's in Stormwrack.

Remove ads