• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Will you buy 5.5e/6e PHB?

Will you buy 5.5e/6e PHB?

• Yes

Votes: 64 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 41.7%

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
My answer is less "undecided" and more "it depends".

It's definitely not going to be anything remotely resembling a "6e" in name or in fact. Whether or not I buy it depends on to the extent it is truly a "5.5" product or if it's just a reprint with all the Tasha's stuff in it.

I will definitely buy the alt cover. The collector in me will not resist.

Use it? That is an other matter entirely. If they go the way I suspect, it will be the last book I buy in the D&D line. I have more than enough material to die of old age before I have nothing left to use.

Last edited:

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Undecided. I'll only get it if the rest of the group insists on changing.

tenor (1).png

JEB

Legend
The best thing about the newer editions is all the preview and playtest stuff. A real try before you buy era.
But there will be playtest and lots of information when it comes out, so I'll see then, although I'll obviously be very curious about the contents.
Little of MOTM was publicly playtested: just the new kobold and hobgoblin, and the latter didn't acknowledge it was going to become the new default. (Technically you could also count the harengon and fairy, but they appeared in Witchlight first.) And the polls so far have been extremely general, with little indication of why they're asking the questions they are.

So I do wonder just how much of 2024 edition will be given an open playtest, compared to 2014 5E. We may not get a complete picture of many changes until they're basically a done deal. But we'll see over the next two years!

JEB

Legend
As for the question in the OP, very firmly undecided. In 2021 I switched from "pre-order all things 5E sight unseen", with few exceptions, to "be very picky and wait for the reviews." I very much doubt that stance will shift before the 2024 books are released, unless I'm extremely impressed by the previews. And even then it needs to be enjoyable to page through in the store, or I may still pass.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
If there is enough meaningful changes and content (that I like), I will.

If it's little more than window dressing, I won't.

If they make it so that classes and races are little more than a skin that you can gumball abilities with, I won't

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads