• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Supreme Cleave

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
hong said:

Not _entirely_ true. It's the case that magic items are treated a bit more reverently in Rokugan than in normal D&D, but that doesn't mean that the actual _incidence_ of magic items must be any less. In fact, Magic of Rokugan outlines a very elegant way of ensuring players get to have the toys they're accustomed to, while still maintaining the feel of mystique.

I guess I was looking at it from the perspective that the clan champions and daimyos in the Rokugan book have crap for magic items. Also, the general feel that I got from the description of magic and magic items leads me to believe that the world has less dinky magic items (like dime-a-dozen +1 cloaks or resistance) and more ancestor type items (like my grandfather's +3 bracer of oni slaying). I'm not saying that magic items are nonexistent. I'm saying that in order for magic items to feel special, the only way I can see this happening is by making them rarer than in typical DnD.

My interpretation could be incorrect, however. I would really like to look at the Magic of Rokugan book, for a possible way to change my mind on this topic.

But I think the point about the feats being taught by a strict clan structure and limited by other social factors still hold true. (Go ahead, hong, fire away...) ;)

Remove ads