Supreme Cleave

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
hong said:

Not _entirely_ true. It's the case that magic items are treated a bit more reverently in Rokugan than in normal D&D, but that doesn't mean that the actual _incidence_ of magic items must be any less. In fact, Magic of Rokugan outlines a very elegant way of ensuring players get to have the toys they're accustomed to, while still maintaining the feel of mystique.

I guess I was looking at it from the perspective that the clan champions and daimyos in the Rokugan book have crap for magic items. Also, the general feel that I got from the description of magic and magic items leads me to believe that the world has less dinky magic items (like dime-a-dozen +1 cloaks or resistance) and more ancestor type items (like my grandfather's +3 bracer of oni slaying). I'm not saying that magic items are nonexistent. I'm saying that in order for magic items to feel special, the only way I can see this happening is by making them rarer than in typical DnD.

My interpretation could be incorrect, however. I would really like to look at the Magic of Rokugan book, for a possible way to change my mind on this topic.

But I think the point about the feats being taught by a strict clan structure and limited by other social factors still hold true. (Go ahead, hong, fire away...) ;)

Remove ads