• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strike Ending & Amazon Antitrust - Streaming Services: Power Rankings, FALL 2023

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Honestly? The Streamer I spend the most time with is Dropout.

Disney+ is still the GOAT though. Complain all you like, Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar are all still AAA brands. And that's not even the best content on there; the animation (especially the DuckTales reboot and Owl House) is top notch, and the live-action family programming is shockingly solid; I highly recommend The Secrets of Sulphur Springs if you've got kids who are even a little bit into mysteries. The Mysterious Benedict Society was even better, but that got cancelled and then memory-holed.

Netflix is getting one last hurrah from Mike Flanagan, but then I have no clue what else is on there that is actually worth the price of admission anymore. It's not even the go-to for quality popcorn TV like Law & Order or Psych anymore. I suppose it's got some surprisingly solid reality TV (Nailed It is great, and they got many kudos for bringing back The Mole), and some subpar K-dramas.

Prime's star is going to be on the rise. Wheel of Time is getting better with every episode and as cursed as The Dark Tower is to adapt (how do you screw up Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg, the role he was born to play?!) Flanagan has multiple times proven fully up to the task to adapting King, and I'll have faith in his abilities until proven otherwise.

Ryujin

Legend

Disney+ is still the GOAT though. Complain all you like, Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar are all still AAA brands. And that's not even the best content on there; the animation (especially the DuckTales reboot and Owl House) is top notch, and the live-action family programming is shockingly solid; I highly recommend The Secrets of Sulphur Springs if you've got kids who are even a little bit into mysteries. The Mysterious Benedict Society was even better, but that got cancelled and then memory-holed.

Netflix is getting one last hurrah from Mike Flanagan, but then I have no clue what else is on there that is actually worth the price of admission anymore. It's not even the go-to for quality popcorn TV like Law & Order or Psych anymore. I suppose it's got some surprisingly solid reality TV (Nailed It is great, and they got many kudos for bringing back The Mole), and some subpar K-dramas.

Prime's star is going to be on the rise. Wheel of Time is getting better with every episode and as cursed as The Dark Tower is to adapt (how do you screw up Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg, the role he was born to play?!) Flanagan has multiple times proven fully up to the task to adapting King, and I'll have faith in his abilities until proven otherwise.
Disney+ has an even bigger leg up in Canada, where Star and Hulu content are included.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Disney+ is still the GOAT though. Complain all you like, Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar are all still AAA brands. And that's not even the best content on there; the animation (especially the DuckTales reboot and Owl House) is top notch....

And the slightly older, but still awesome Gravity Falls...

Clint_L

Hero

Disney+ is still the GOAT though. Complain all you like, Marvel and Star Wars and Pixar are all still AAA brands.
Sure...but most of their content ranges from C to B-. Hard to call them the GOAT when they haven't produced much stellar content, compared to an HBO, Prime, or Netflix. Their catalogue has some great stuff, but pales in comparison to Netflix.

For me, the "A" content made for D+ is Andor, Reservation Dogs, and Shadows.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sure...but most of their content ranges from C to B-. Hard to call them the GOAT when they haven't produced much stellar content, compared to an HBO, Prime, or Netflix.

Well this is a case where Shakespeare informs us, "There is no accounting for taste".

There is no agreed-upon measure of the respective value of one superb series vs some number of good but not superb series.

Especially when "had this piece of content" doesn't actually tell you how much responsibility they have for its quality.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Sure...but most of their content ranges from C to B-. Hard to call them the GOAT when they haven't produced much stellar content, compared to an HBO, Prime, or Netflix. Their catalogue has some great stuff, but pales in comparison to Netflix.

For me, the "A" content made for D+ is Andor, Reservation Dogs, and Shadows.
There is significantly more "A" content made for D+ than on your list, and certainly more than is currently made for Prime, of all things (and I'm high on Prime!) or even Netflix. That a lot of that content is directed at more of a family audience does not preclude it from rising to that level of quality.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I dont know what the big guns means, nor have I read the novels, but season 2 so far has been much more interesting. There is a lot more plot movement, exposition, and even action. A big improvement, IMO.
Based on the first Season, not having read the books could be an advantage! Though Brandon Sanderson made a good case for the show.

Last edited:

Remove ads