• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recruitment for WoT: "Hunt for the Horn"

garyh

First Post
ToddSchumacher said:

This is NOT D&D, and much of the wealth in the DMG assumes that it would be spent on Magic Items, I'd say just go with MAX starting wealth for 1st level, that should be enough to get any item you may need.

That's fine. There's a very different magic/economy system in the two systems, and I agree, WoT is a MUCH more "low magic" world than the typical D&D campaign world. I was just unsure is all. Thanks for the clarification!!

garyh

First Post
Enter the Ogier...

Jorad son of Halar son of Korl

Male Ogier Wanderer2/Woodsman2: HD 2d6+2d10+12; hp 30; Init +3 (-1 Dex, +4 Partial Improved Intiative); Spd 40ft; AC 14 (-1 Dex, -1 Size, +6 Defense); Reach 10ft, Melee huge hafted axe, +6 (2d8+6/crit 20/x3); Ranged shortbow, +1 (1d6/crit 20/x3, range 60'); SQ Low-Light Vision; Reputation 1; SV Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +2; Str 18, Dex 9, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8.

Skills (total/ranks): Appraise (5/4), Craft (Stonemason) (10/7), Diplomacy (6/5), Disable Device (6/5), Knowledge (History) (6/5), Listen (9/7), Open Lock (4/5), Search (10/7), Sense Motive (9/5), Spot (7/7), Wilderness Lore (6/6).

Feats: Latent Tree Singer, Smooth Talk, Sharp-Eyed.

Racial Features:

4 Ranks Knowledge (History). Knowledge (History) is a class skill for Jorad.
+2 to Fort Saves.
+2 to Listen checks.
+2 to Craft relating to stone or construction.
Skill and Feat Restrictions.
Nonchanneler.
Size Large, base speed 40ft.
Laguages: Ogier, Common (Midlands), Common (Cairhien).
All bonuses and penalties have been added into the final numbers above.

Class Features:

Profecient in all Simple and Martial Weapons, as well as all Light and Medium Armor and Shields.
Illicit Barter: +5 competence bonus to Diplomacy checks to buy or sell illicit or illegal goods.
Nature's Warrior (Mountains): Ineffective, as Jorad does not have a Dex bonus.
Track: Bonus Feat.
The Dark One's Own Luck: Bonus Feat.
Partial Improved Initiative: Free use of Improved Initiative while in light or no armor.

Possessions (worn): huge hafted axe, shortbow, daggers (2), arrows (40), Backpack, artisan's outfit.

Possessions (in backpack): bedroll, flint and steel, ink (1 oz. vial), ink pen, parchment (10 sheets), sack, torches (3), trail rations (5 days), waterskin, whetstone, stonemasons' tools, thieves' tools, healers' balm (2), cold weather outfit, 1 gold mark, 5 copper pennies.

Total gear weight: 99.5 lbs.
Capacity: 200 lbs./400 lbs./600 lbs.

Description: 9'2", 32 stone. Age 103. Brown hair, green eyes. Jorad often has a wide smile on his wide face.

History: Jorad hails from Stedding Yontiang, in Kinslayer's Dagger. For the last ten years, he has been travelling to Caemlyn each year to help with maintenance of the old Ogier stonework. His regular travels in human lands have taught him the value of a trusty axe. In fact, his hafted axe was a gift from Queen Morgase, who gave gifts to the Ogier masons several years ago in thanks for their work on her palace. Jorad has taken to calling his axe Keyblade, in reference to Morgase's personal sigal of three golden keys. Worked in rose and lion motifs on the blade, and haft wrapped in a red strip of cloth, Jorad is very proud of this gift, and treasures it highly.

This year, he's been pulled into a mysterious turn of events, and the promise of adventure and excitement - a chance to make his own history! - was too strong to resist.

Last edited:

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
There is something that I perhaps should clarify, There has been no formal announcment for a hunt for the horn, and while you as players know that's what this adventure is about, your characters do not start out knowing that. That does not mean your characters may not be 'Hunters for the Horn' on thier own, Its just that there has been no formal call for hunters.

All your characters just happen to be in Tar Valon at a certain point, and wether or not you go after the Horn will depend on how things go.

Paragon Badger

First Post
Edit- Actually, since playing an Accepted would drive me nuts :D and we have an NPC Aes Sedai. I'm going to go with a Tar Valoner Armsman.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
ToddSchumacher said:
There is something that I perhaps should clarify, There has been no formal announcment for a hunt for the horn, and while you as players know that's what this adventure is about, your characters do not start out knowing that. That does not mean your characters may not be 'Hunters for the Horn' on thier own, Its just that there has been no formal call for hunters.

All your characters just happen to be in Tar Valon at a certain point, and wether or not you go after the Horn will depend on how things go.

Gotcha. Jorad's history has been edited to reflect this. I figured mysterious happenings would accurately enough describe our initial hook. :)

By the way, Jorad has been in Tar Valon one month. 11 months till the Longing for those keeping score at home!!

Last edited:

Paragon Badger

First Post
Holm Gray

Here is a quick writeup of my Armsman. I JUST typed this up and need to get going so errors may be prevalent. If I catch them I'll edit it later. Suggestion on the character are welcome if you see a way to make him better.

How are we doing Hit Points?

Holm Gray
Tar Valoner Armsman 4
HD:4d10+8

Str 16
Dex 10
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 8
Cha 13

Defense 20 = 5 (Armor) + 2 (Shield) + 3(Class) (Armor Check -6)
Initiative 0
Speed 20’
Fort +6 Ref +2 Will +0
Reputation 1

BAB +4
Battleaxe +8 1d8+5 x3
Sling(40) +4 1d4 x2 50’
Dagger(2) +8 1d4+3 19-20/x2
+4 1d4+3 19-20/x2 10’

Languages – Common(Midlands), Common (Cairhien)

Feats / Abilities
Education
Weapon Focus (Battleaxe)
Weapon Specialization (Battleaxe)
Power Attack
Cleave

Skills
Gather Information (Cha): 4 = 3.5 (ranks) + 1 (Cha)
Intimidate (Cha): 8 = 7 (ranks) + 1 (Cha)
Knowledge (Age of Legends)(Int): 8 = 7 (ranks) + 1 (Int)
Knowledge(Geography)(Int): 8 = 7 (ranks) + 1
Profession (Driver)(Wis): 6 = 7(ranks) – 1(Wis)

Equipment
Battleaxe 10 mk
Sling (40 ammo) 4 sp
Dagger(2) 4 mk
Breastplate 20 gc
Shield, large, steel 20 mk
Explorer’s Outfit -
Backpack 2 mk
Bedroll 1 sp
Flint and Steel 1mk
Lantern, Hooded 7mk
Tent 10 mk
Waterskin 1 mk
Ink 8mk
Inkpen (3) 3 sp
Paper (5) 1mk

Description
Holm is a well-built man standing about 5’10” and weighing 155 pounds. He is 24 at the beginning of the campaign. Well muscled and quite fit, his father often quips that Holm is never sick. He has dark brown hair cut short and blue eyes. He wears a typical explorer’s outfit when traveling.
He is well liked and has a quick wit. He is charismatic and has a knack for finding out what he needs to know. When threaten of insulted he can be quite threaten having the strength to back up any threats. However, as his father often notes he is quite rash. He doesn’t take time to consider the consequences of his actions and often rushes into things.

Backstory
Holm is the son of a merchant family. His mother, Evelyn Gray, is a merchant’s daughter who inherited the family business. She takes of care of the numbers for the business while her husband does the trading. Holm’s father, Jonathan Gray, is a successful merchant in Tar Valon. He makes his money by trading between Tar Valon and Cairhien. Holm often accompanied his father on his trips and picked up the local dialect. Also Holm was taught to fight at an early age to protect himself from bandits encountered on the road. Holm showed great talent with the axe and decided early the military could be for him. However, Holm’s mother ensured her son was well educated too. During his teachings he took great interest in the history of the Age of Legends and geography. He began to dream about his future saying he would travel the world from Arad Doman to Mayene and write about his travels. He wanted to see everything and find the lost relics of the Age of Legend.
When the Aiel War began Holm was 22. He volunteered to be a guard in Tar Valon for the duration of the war. He quickly made friends and showed leadership in the army. By the time of the Battle of Tar Valon he was a sergeant in command of a small unit on the wall. During the battle his unit fought well against the Aiel.
After the war he decided it was time he saw the world. With his parents blessings he would set out to find the unknown. A fighting scholar, he plans to pen a book about the adventures he has and the discoveries he makes. He hopes that when it comes time to settle down he may find a position among the scholars that track the archaeology of the past.

garyh

First Post
Just sizing up the group, we've got:

Me: Ogier Wanderer2/Woodsman2
PB: Tar Valoner Armsman4
Dorn: Borderlander Woodsman(4?)
Uriel: Ebou Dari Wanderer(?)/Armsman(?)

...with two NPCs, a Green Ajah Aes Sedai and her warder.

One thing's for sure: We'll be able to hold our own in a fight!!

Last edited:

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Elinas Sandrionovi
Ebou Dari Wanderer 2/Armsman 2
Str 12 (+1) Dex 16 (+3) Con 13 (+1)
Int 14 (+2) Wis 8 (-1) Cha 10 (0)
HP 28 (6 @first,+8,7 and 3 rolled +4 con)
BaB +3 Fort +5 Ref +9 Will +2 Def 4 Rep 2 Init +5

5'10" tall, 165#s, Black hair, light brown eyes, wears a small goatee and mustache.23 years old
Dresses in pale yellows offset by a dark grey vest.
Feats: Luck of Heroes, Alertness, Weapon Finesse:Rapier,Duelist.
Class Skills/Feats: The Dark One's Own Luck,
Illicit Barter

Skills:Appraise 1/+3 Bluff 5/+4 Climb 3/+4
Craft-Traps 3/+5 Diplomacy 2/+4 Disguise 3/+3
Disable Device 4/+6 Escape Artist 1/+4
Gather Info 3/+3 Hide 3/+6 Intimidate 6/+6
Jump 1/+2 Know-Geography 1/+3 Know-History 1/+3
Listen 4/+5 Move Silently 3/+6 Open Locks 4/+7
Pick Pockets 2/+5 Ride 2/+5 Search 4/+6
Sense Motive 5/+4 Spot 4/+5 Swim 1/+2
Tumble 1/+4

Languages:Common, Domani and Borderlander Accents
(Background)

Rapier, Light Crossbow&20 bolts, 4 daggers,
backpack, 2 belt pouches, 50' hemp rope&grapnel
flint&steel, masterworked thieves tools,
light horse&gear/saddle, fooder
Bedroll, waterskin and trail rations (1 week)
other minor gear to follow
I had bought armor, but my defense is 4, same as my studded leather&buckler. Could someone familiar with this variable let me know- Does it always count (the class bonus)?
If so I have aprox 82 mk (not needing the armor), otherwise I have 32.

Background to follow

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads