• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ranger damage

Sharkon

First Post
i want to play a ranger in an upcoming campaign but i need to find more ways to increase my damage.So far i have included in the bonus str from the composite bow,the feat point black shot and a good weapon crustal that deals 3 more damage. Any further ideas ? everything you think may help

Darklone

And get those ranger spells from the SpC, they enhance the skirmish damage dealing ability of the swift hunter build with greater manyshot a lot... 5 arrows at more than 1000ft with skirmish damage? I like it.

irdeggman

First Post
well i thought of something that may sound stupid but can i make a power attack with a bow ?

No such feat exists.

The Power Attack feat is specific to melee attacks only.

Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.

People have posed creating a house-rule feat to do such though.

There is a a crossbow feat in PHB II that allows adding Dex mod to damage.

But using a crossbow works against the ranger weapon style archery feats since they don't work with crossbows.

Starbuck_II

First Post
i want to play a ranger in an upcoming campaign but i need to find more ways to increase my damage.So far i have included in the bonus str from the composite bow,the feat point black shot and a good weapon crustal that deals 3 more damage. Any further ideas ? everything you think may help

Rangers deal extra versus favored enemies: pick the right ones helps.

What do you know of the campaign?

Is there a previous history of fighting a certain type?

Virtue

First Post
The Swift Hunter feat and three levels of Scout is the way to go by 9th level you will be throwing an additional 3d6 per arrow. With greater manyshot each arrow counts and your skirmish damage works against any creature even if they are imune to crits as long as they are your favored enemy.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I agree with most of what's already been posted. Check out the spells from the Spell Compendium, or even just Complete Adventurer, which is either where most of them come from anyway, or where they started to show up at least. And, while we're on that book, yeah - the Scout definitely trumps the Ranger on damage, by default. Forget Favoured Enemy stuff. It's a joke. See if you can swap it out for something else, perhaps.

Another way, or in combination with some of the above, is to go the spell-free variant from Complete Champion. This nets you extra feats for your fighting style (i.e., archery). OK, so you don't get access to those nifty spells. However, neither do you require a Wisdom score of note. So you can put more points where they'll count for hitting and pumping out damage.

A feat that is worth considering, if you want to branch out into other class options, is Zen Archery (use Wisdom for to-hit with ranged weapons). What immediately springs to mind is Cleric with War Domain, or just Elven Cleric, for that matter, of course. Full divine casting and Divine Feats could be damn handy. Otherwise, maybe Psychic Warrior (or a couple levels, at least) is an interesting option too. Psionic Shot, and other Psionic Feats, can work well enough, IME.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads