• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Advantage

Arnwyn

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
I wonder why they're doing this... do they need the extra sales?
Rauol_Duke said:
Or maybe... just maybe, they want to give something back to their subscribers like Vic said in the first few lines of the announcement.
Both are unlikely (especially the second, what with them being a business and all).

It looks to me like an excellent marketing strategy to help ensure long-term profitability - get them hooked early and make them continual buyers - especially when the big 4e monster rears its ugly head leading to the possibility that a significant portion of their consumers drop them and head for the hills when Paizo's conversion occurs. This strategy will help offset the big unknown that's coming up.

Great move, Paizo! Definitely a win/win scenario.

Rauol_Duke

First Post
So, anyone here who's on the fence about Pathfinder, how does this announcement influence your decision.

Anyone other Pathfinder subscribers planning on subscribing to another product line with the 15% discount?

How's the weather?

etc.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
There are a lot of people dropping their subs. In order to do this, one must either post it on their boards or contact them through email or phone. There are a lot of posts on the PF sub board with people asking to cancel. This includes me, and even with this announcement, I'm not regretting it. I'm finishing up AoW right now and between that and our RttToEE game a couple years ago, I just don't want to play such a structured game like that anymore. And if I do, I already have Rise of the Runelords, Shackled City, War of the Burning Sky and Savage Tide.

I love the production quality of both the books and the adventures. But I don't like reading adventures that I'm not going to play right away and I don't know if I'll ever play these.

Still a GM subscriber, though. The individual adventures could still be useful.

Cintra

First Post
Rauol_Duke said:
So, anyone here who's on the fence about Pathfinder, how does this announcement influence your decision.

Actually, I was on the fence until one of the WotC developers came on the Paizo boards and explained the ease of converting 3.5 adventures to 4.0. (It was either Rodney Thompson or Stephen Radney McFarland, and I apologize if I mis-spelled either of those). From how they described it, I believe it - and it doesn't hurt that, as they told us, at least 2 groups of WotC employees are running Pathfinder in 4.0 right now as part of their playtesting.

I'm already a Pathfinder and Chronicles subscriber, and this offer is good enough that I'll probably stay a Chronicles subscriber even after the Campaign Setting comes out in a few months (I was anticipating cancelling that one afterward, although to be fair, we haven't seen yet what else they'll be producing in that line.)

I've bought a few of the GameMastery adventures from my FLGS, and they've been pretty good - this might be enough to make me buy a few directly from Paizo. I don't think I'll be subscribing to that line, but thanks to this, I may well end up talking myself into it in a few months.

Hussar said:
How about they reward us by giving us the web enhancements for the last three Dungeon issues? It's only been seven months now. :] Then again, why bother supporting former customers?
Might be barking up the wrong tree there. I believe Mike McArtor (or at least one of the Paizo staff, but he posts a lot) stated that with their license agreement ended with WotC, they can't work on and publish any web enhancements for Dungeon anymore. (Not that they really have time anyway if they could.)

So if you want the web enhancements, talk to Chris Thommason at WotC. He's in charge of Dungeon magazine content now. (And I imagine equally too busy to get those out there as well.)

They are simply casualties of the transition. I'd like them, too, for my Savage Tide campaign, but I've also realized that it just ain't gonna happen because WotC is too focused on the future of Dungeon than the past, and Paizo just isn't allowed.

Treebore

First Post
Hussar said:
How about they reward us by giving us the web enhancements for the last three Dungeon issues? It's only been seven months now. :] Then again, why bother supporting former customers?

I think it just proves that WOTC is not so hot in customer support, since providing those PDF copies is their call. Why should Paizo spend money on a defunct license putting together a PDF release?

They worked 60+ hour weeks just switching over to Pathfinder and more Game Mastery.

Rauol_Duke

First Post
kenmarable said:
Might be barking up the wrong tree there. I believe Mike McArtor (or at least one of the Paizo staff, but he posts a lot) stated that with their license agreement ended with WotC, they can't work on and publish any web enhancements for Dungeon anymore. (Not that they really have time anyway if they could.)

I think the quote you're refering to is in this thread

Relavent info here:

Lisa Steven's said:
Since we lost the license, we no longer have the ability to make the web supplements and to put them up on the website. So those last three supplements will never see the light of day unless WotC does them, and with 4e coming down the turnpike, I doubt it is every going to be on the top of their list.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, it would have been a nice perk for continuing my subscription, but I seriously just don't have the shelf space to get a new 96-page book every month any more. :( I'll probably pick up quite a few of their Pathfinder and GM products as PDFs once I catch up on what I already have, but it would've been nice to have a PDF subscription.

drscott46

First Post
This might be the reverse of what many Paizo subscribers might be telling the company now (in this thread), but I'll subscribe when they start doing those products for 4E. 15% off puts it over the top for me (makes it so I don't have to keep going to Amazon).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads