• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Fantasy Zero: Design Diary continued

Cynlas said:
Violates which cannon? Either way, I'd not worry too much about it; I have been integrating FFZ into my current D&D campaign as the "crunchy" bits are released without detriment. When the whole is released, I will start anew with a fresh world for running FFZ; but until then, it works out pretty good so far. Though I suppose leaping Dragoons running amok in Sigil may present a clash in style...like Pipi Longstocking at a Goth convention :heh:

Actually, I think the style of Planescape would mesh very well with FFZ: the planes and factions are perfect vessels for giving form to common Final Fantasy themes, and Sigil's atmosphere is not all that different from Midgard's; I do suppose that mechanics would have to be tweaked so Callers in Sigil aren't useless :p

What I meant by "violate the cannon" was that the plot I had in mind tosses several premises about the setting out the window. But then, it shouldn't matter what others think about my alterations if it makes for a good story ;) I'm just a bit concerned about being ripped a new one while I'm still new to this forum.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Vilcomen to Chapter Seven!

The article is going to be about re-inventing and simplifying the character classes and advancement in D&D, but I also want to talk a little bit about how story defines a character in FFZ.

In D&D, measured awards come in the form of XP and GP, both of which you get for beating up something and taking it's stuff.

FFZ has XP and Gil, but neither is where this shines. Gil, for one, is mostly awarded to cover the cost of buying new equipment and training, staying at the inn, and buying expendible magic items (potions and grenades and the like). XP is kind of to be expected at a regular rate, and is fully in the hands of the individual player, rather than the GM (who shouldn't usuall tell you which job you have to be).

The story, however, awards AP. Which, in this terminology, is called Ability Points.

AP is in the hands of the GM, in the hands of the storyteller, and can have deep effects on your character. The menu of available awards that you can buy with AP is in the hands of the GM. The monsters he has you face can give you certain abilities -- if you face off against a lot of demons, you will have a lot of abilities related to and derived from demons. You will wield blessed weapons (spending AP on the "Blessed Equipment" ability), you may be resistant to fire (spending AP on the "Fire Resistance" ability), and you will probably have a very aware mind (spending AP on the "Muddle Resistance" ability). If you explore the demons for long enough, you may find a long-lost hero of your people (spending AP on the "Heroic Ally" ability), or may find some ancient treasure of great power (spending AP on the "Legendary Equipment" ability).

In effect, this works like placed treasure. Dragons will have different treasure than humanoids who will have different treasure than fungus-monsters. Except whereas these are loose items in D&D, they are inherent abilities in FFZ, that become part of the characters as they face off against these threats.

This helps emphasize a theme for the game, and as a game gets a theme, and things start reinforcing that theme, it seems more and more like a story. For instance, if you were facing off against a lot of demons, you could be crafting a theme of "Fallen Lights," where the main villain is a once-great retainer to the noble king, but who has betrayed him in the midst of some powerful war for the benefits the demons could offer. Thus, as the party faces off against the villain's minions, they gain abilities related to the theme, abilities about darkness and sin and the choice whether or not to fall deeper into it (abilities like the Dark Equipment ability, or the Penitentce ability or the Conversion ability).

Just as the world is changed by the character's stories, so the characters are changed by what happens in the world.

It's something you could even adopt for a D&D game without too much effort. Just take care to tailor the treasure to reflect the challenges you plan on having them face. FFZ's system of Award Menus makes this easier for a GM, but a little browsing (and creative use of occasional intelligent or cursed items) can tell you which items will reflect the kind of theme you're trying to build.

Oy, this was a lot of work. I'm off to post an article about it, but download, enjoy, and ask away! Tell me what you think about the Black Mage, ask about the spells and stuff (I've got a few written up, not a whole list, but I've got a good idea of how I want them to look), I'll be happy to answer.

Last edited:

Cynlas

First Post
Wow. Are you going to be writing up all the classes..er, Jobs, like this? I can see why it took so long. It is nice to be able to put things into context.

Great work, KM. :cool:

Just a further question, do you plan on including the string of quick casting abilities with the RDM too (as this seems to be a classic feature of the more recent versions of the job)?

I like that the once bland class..er, job of spellcaster now has its own abilities in addition to the spellcasting (granted, they augment the spellcasting, but if they are not universal to all the spellcasters, then it still adds more flavor and whatnot to the class, other than the WIZ I/II/III/ect which seem to just be the spell-level markers). For the first time in my gaming career, I actually want to play a single-classed, non-cleric, spellcaster.

Two D20 issues: First, is there no "Spellcraft" skill in FFZ? Second, do the quicken spell or double spell feats not exist in FFZ, and if they do, how do they interact with the BLM's quickcasting abilities?

Anyway, and again; Great Work!!

This much effort and work for a "simple" class, I can only imagine the herculean efforts required of the more complex ones :eek: Still, can't wait for more...

Cynlas

First Post
BTW, I really like the tribe-based effects for the jobs. It really helps provide a better reason for the preference of the job with some races/culture rather than others, and without creating the artificial barier of completely excluding those that don't preferr the class (like in 1e or 2e). Just more RP bits to help flesh out a character...gotta love it! Not only does it help flesh out the class/job, but also the various tribes.

Also, if this feature continues with all the jobs, then I think that it will help those new to the game/setting will have a much greater knowledge of where they fit into the world, and about their characters than currently exists in most systems (well, without having to purchase and read three or four 200+ pg books of "background" and "society" for their choses race and class...), thereby allowing them to "hit the ground running" with more confidence and enjoyment than usual.

And all this without really "constraining" them with artificial meta-game mechanics (ie, Dwarves cannot be Wizards). Sure those Elvaan Heretics and Dwarven Occultists are going to be rare, but they do/can exist...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Wow. Are you going to be writing up all the classes..er, Jobs, like this? I can see why it took so long. It is nice to be able to put things into context.

Hehehe, thanks. I do plan on investing this much into every future job. However, now that I have some of the advancement complexities hammered out, I think it'll go a lot smoother. It wasn't the writing that took the time, it was the math! :)

Just a further question, do you plan on including the string of quick casting abilities with the RDM too (as this seems to be a classic feature of the more recent versions of the job)?

Yep, the Red Mage will get some very similar powers. He'll also be getting some powers like a white mage's. And some like a bard's. Because he is the bannana split of jobs, a little bit of everything. :)

Two D20 issues: First, is there no "Spellcraft" skill in FFZ? Second, do the quicken spell or double spell feats not exist in FFZ, and if they do, how do they interact with the BLM's quickcasting abilities?

Spellcraft is just a sub-genre of "Craft". Craft works off of the material you're working in FFZ, so there's Craft (stone), Craft (wood), Craft (ice), Craft (magic). With that last you can do things like create magic items and golems and other wonder-works. So BLMs get it, after a fashion. :) Depending on what role Craft (magic) will have further in the game, I may end up separating it out, but at the moment it's another way to make stuff.

Metamagic feats like that do exist, but they don't work when a black mage uses their quick-casting abilities. Specifically, they can't be used if you're already taking a full-round or fast action that round. So they're available when a black mage wants to use any spell (not just black magic), but doesn't want to hassle with spending the whole round doing it. And their requirements are high enough that a black mage will already have Doublecast by the time he gets to Quicken. :)

This much effort and work for a "simple" class, I can only imagine the herculean efforts required of the more complex ones Still, can't wait for more...

Designing the caller is actually like designing one different class for every possible summon. It might be a while before I get to that one. :)

BTW, I really like the tribe-based effects for the jobs. It really helps provide a better reason for the preference of the job with some races/culture rather than others, and without creating the artificial barier of completely excluding those that don't preferr the class (like in 1e or 2e). Just more RP bits to help flesh out a character...gotta love it! Not only does it help flesh out the class/job, but also the various tribes.

Also, if this feature continues with all the jobs, then I think that it will help those new to the game/setting will have a much greater knowledge of where they fit into the world, and about their characters than currently exists in most systems (well, without having to purchase and read three or four 200+ pg books of "background" and "society" for their choses race and class...), thereby allowing them to "hit the ground running" with more confidence and enjoyment than usual.

And all this without really "constraining" them with artificial meta-game mechanics (ie, Dwarves cannot be Wizards). Sure those Elvaan Heretics and Dwarven Occultists are going to be rare, but they do/can exist...

I'm determined to have the tribe not be as minor a choice as race is in D&D. :)

The work you've done is really nice KM, I can't wait to see how it'll turn out.

About the initiative system, why don't you simply have it so that the person with the highest initiative acts and have initiative penalties for each action (like you have but without the inclusion of rounds) and then make characters wait if they have negative initiative. It might work if wait let X other characters go before your initiative was counted.

Remove ads