• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Final Fantasy Zero: Design Diary continued

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Kamikaze Midget said:
I'm a notorious control freak about this project. Because it's really easy to get bogged down in discussions of how it should be done, and then nothing ends up actually getting done. :) I'd rather make a choice and go back and correct it later than talk about what choice I should make in comitee for a week before going ahead with it. :p

Yes. Oh most definitely, yes.

I must say, what I've seen looks quite promising. I agree with some commentors that you should consider changing the tribe names to something more generic--especially for those of us who are more 'old school' in our tastes. :) (I haven't played anything postdating IX.) So far, though, that's the only real complaint I have. Will there be a gambler class for simulating folks like Setzer?

Matthew L. Martin, founding member of the team that would produce what eventually would become the Returners FFRPG. I make no claim to what was finally produced, though. :)

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I must say, what I've seen looks quite promising. I agree with some commentors that you should consider changing the tribe names to something more generic--especially for those of us who are more 'old school' in our tastes. :) (I haven't played anything postdating IX.) So far, though, that's the only real complaint I have. Will there be a gambler class for simulating folks like Setzer?

Matthew L. Martin, founding member of the team that would produce what eventually would become the Returners FFRPG. I make no claim to what was finally produced, though. :)

Hahaha, I was involved in the Returner's FFRPG for a minute before d20 came out. I did some work on Gau-style rages.

And actually, as I've started to write the tribes, I have noticed that they do need some sort of organizational force. So I've added categories (something like Character Concepts for tribes) that they fit into. Each race more acts like a slight modification of the category than as their own unique type, now.

Last edited:

Mark Causey

Explorer
I was thinking, will there be a mechanic for group transportation? I can understand if you expect that to be all story-based, but I'd think it'd be cool if, like Leadership, a group knew when they could expect to see transportation popping up or becoming available.

Lackhand

First Post
Demand More Article!
Demand More Article!

Is there anything I can do to help? Other than offer moral and/or monetary support-- I'm already doing the first half, and unable to contribute the second (!).

The other question is one that is beginning to get really videogamey-- what about cutscenes and minigames?
In terms of advice for the DM, telling them that they could try running flashbacks/divinations as games-within-games would be kinda cute.
Other minigames are much harder and perhaps don't need to be imported.

On a related note: anybody here feeling the similarity vibe between Magic of Incarnum (at least in concept, not so much in previews) and FF magicite/materia?

Kamikaze Midget, do you think you'll get mitts on a copy of MoI before you get to that section of FFZ?

I'm actually interested, if you include something like this, how you balance item based abilities with class based ones-- what did Aeris do, other than enhance the spells everyone else could cast anyway?

As I say: Article article article!
Or better-- the next chapter!

Your adoring fan :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I was thinking, will there be a mechanic for group transportation? I can understand if you expect that to be all story-based, but I'd think it'd be cool if, like Leadership, a group knew when they could expect to see transportation popping up or becoming available.

This is pretty much in the DM's hands, but there is a lot of detail given on modes of transportation, and how they work in a story. Different DM's will do things differently, but some form of group transport is definately assumed by the upper-mid range of levels (about the equivalent to D&D 10th-12th). Typically, this will be an airship, but depending upon the story...and there may also be come earlier (such as for sailing ships), and may also come later (such as for space ships).

The other question is one that is beginning to get really videogamey-- what about cutscenes and minigames?

They can be awkward in a table-top game. Cutscenes...what would you watch? There's exposition, but that gets old pretty quick. Minigames...no buttons to push....no timing mechanism....However, for minigames, at least, it's possible to do a few things to switch up the pace. Play a hand of poker? Rock-paper-scissors? Sure, run with it. :) Not every group will like mixing it up like that, but minigames can be fun.

On a related note: anybody here feeling the similarity vibe between Magic of Incarnum (at least in concept, not so much in previews) and FF magicite/materia?

Kamikaze Midget, do you think you'll get mitts on a copy of MoI before you get to that section of FFZ?

I'm actually interested, if you include something like this, how you balance item based abilities with class based ones-- what did Aeris do, other than enhance the spells everyone else could cast anyway?

I haven't seen much of MoI, but as far as Aeris goes...she's basically a white mage. And as the Magicite/Materia goes, the major way that is reflected is in the Treasure Abilities rules, which gives you powers, not simply trinkets....

As I say: Article article article!
Or better-- the next chapter!

I'm not sure what's holding up the site...the article is there, but it's been awaiting approval for a few weeks now....I'm not sure why it hasn't been approved, but it's just chillin' there...

The next release is posted in my signature, but you are missin' out on some insights. :)

Cynlas

First Post
Web-site?

Since I seem to be a bit out of a loop somewhere, what website? I have downloaded from the links in your Sigg, Kamikaze, so have apparently missed out on whatever website they are also being posted on. :heh:

Any chance of someone providing a link here for me (and any others who also may have missed out)?

Thanks.

And Chapter three looks great, will show to group next session.

B

How exactly will the base stats be used (Atk, def, resistance, and magic (cant remember the exact terms, its late)), I assume that the Atk will be much as Bab, but will the def score apply as damage reduction or AC? (in the games it reduced the damge you took), and will you have the spells like in the games (mana used to pay for the abilities you know from you class) or a little more d20ish?

Remove ads