Pathfinder 1E Are people still playing Pathfinder 1e?

BigZebra

Adventurer
I'd like to be...Does that count? Maybe after this PF2 game runs it's course I'll come back to it.

A couple months ago I started running Carrion Crown for my mid-week game (1/2 the year we meet on Tuesday. After football season we switch to Wednesday). They just couldn't get into the AP, so it got scrapped after finishing book 1. We all like PF1 and our most successful campaigns have used it. That is probably a signal I should listen to.
Are you running Carrion Crown in PF2 or was that in PF1?
So you're considering going back to PF1?

I'm currently running Giantslayer in 5e - and want to run either Reign of Winter or Curse of the Crimson Throne. But I'll probably do that in PF1. I like 5e good enough. Especially some of 3pp stuff - Kobold Press makes som insanely good monster books. An 5e Level Up's (really a clunky name) Monsters Menagerie (a great name 😃) are seriously one of the best monster books out there. Also the just released Flee Mortal from MCDM looks to be just amazing. But I do miss some of PF1's craziness and weirdness.

I have tried running PF2. And I really really want to like it. But somehow we just can't get into it. It's hard to describe I guess, but it feels soulless and calculated in som way. Great game. Just not for us. And that is fine. There's PF1 material for many, many many years.

We all like PF1 and our most successful campaigns have used it. That is probably a signal I should listen to.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. Play/run what works for you. It’s a little wistful to not be playing “the latest“, but it’s also liberating to get off the edition churn treadmill.

Are you running Carrion Crown in PF2 or was that in PF1?
So you're considering going back to PF1?

I'm currently running Giantslayer in 5e - and want to run either Reign of Winter or Curse of the Crimson Throne. But I'll probably do that in PF1. I like 5e good enough. Especially some of 3pp stuff - Kobold Press makes som insanely good monster books. An 5e Level Up's (really a clunky name) Monsters Menagerie (a great name 😃) are seriously one of the best monster books out there. Also the just released Flee Mortal from MCDM looks to be just amazing. But I do miss some of PF1's craziness and weirdness.

I have tried running PF2. And I really really want to like it. But somehow we just can't get into it. It's hard to describe I guess, but it feels soulless and calculated in som way. Great game. Just not for us. And that is fine. There's PF1 material for many, many many years.
I was running it in PF1. The rules system wasn’t the issue. The AP itself was. The players just weren’t feeling it.

I agree with your comments about PF2. I want to like it and I keep trying. It just isn’t my jam.

Green Onceler

Explorer
Going to be kicking off The Half Dead City this Sunday.

With our group's sporadic schedule, it's almost impossible to complete all 6 books of Mummy's Mask. I'd really like to get the first two done, though.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Going to be kicking off The Half Dead City this Sunday.

With our group's sporadic schedule, it's almost impossible to complete all 6 books of Mummy's Mask. I'd really like to get the first two done, though.
I got through MM, but it wasnt easy. I had it made for about a decade. We blasted through probably 75% of the first era APs. Playing 2X a month took us about 2 years an AP. Covid cleaved my group apart and I haven't completed one since. 😢

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I got through MM, but it wasnt easy. I had it made for about a decade. We blasted through probably 75% of the first era APs. Playing 2X a month took us about 2 years an AP. Covid cleaved my group apart and I haven't completed one since. 😢
We got somewhere past the halfway point of Mummy's Mask a few years ago, then we lost roughly two-thirds of our party to a banshee, and that sort of killed the campaign.

payn

We got somewhere past the halfway point of Mummy's Mask a few years ago, then we lost roughly two-thirds of our party to a banshee, and that sort of killed the campaign.
Yeah there was a couple that died about halfway. Jade Regent our GM just tossed in the towel. The GM tried to blame the palyers for not being into the theme enough, but I think the GM just got bored (this guy is the best one shot GM but has it solidly in their head that they need to run long campaigns...). Second one was Serpent Skull. The AP just wasnt that good (despite a stellar beginning). The GM also had little experience with high level 3E and it burned them out.

Otherwise, I had a lot of luck completing them. Though, I was the one in the GM seat that had the staying power to do it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Yeah there was a couple that died about halfway. Jade Regent our GM just tossed in the towel. The GM tried to blame the palyers for not being into the theme enough, but I think the GM just got bored (this guy is the best one shot GM but has it solidly in their head that they need to run long campaigns...). Second one was Serpent Skull. The AP just wasnt that good (despite a stellar beginning). The GM also had little experience with high level 3E and it burned them out.

Otherwise, I had a lot of luck completing them. Though, I was the one in the GM seat that had the staying power to do it.
We also flamed out about halfway through Serpent's Skull. The part where we needed to explore the ruined city in the jungle just felt like a slog to everyone, the GM included, and we ended up losing interest. That said, we're now in the final book of Reign of Winter (including using a supplementary adventure for the fifth book made by Legendary Games), and are looking forward to bringing things to a close!

payn

We also flamed out about halfway through Serpent's Skull. The part where we needed to explore the ruined city in the jungle just felt like a slog to everyone, the GM included, and we ended up losing interest. That said, we're now in the final book of Reign of Winter (including using a supplementary adventure for the fifth book made by Legendary Games), and are looking forward to bringing things to a close!
Oh, I envy you, closing an AP is such a milestone!

I heard that the problems with Serpent Skull had to do with one of the module writers basically dropping it close to due date unfinished. Paizo had to scramble to save it. The publishing rate at which they need to do these thigns is so very tight. You can get some mixed results, but damn if I dont love the volume of options available to GMs.

I am playing in War for the Crown right now. We had a lot of turn over and settled for 3 players each having 2 PCs. We are making progress now and I am enjoying it immensely. The last PF1 era AP I wanted to complete before turning the page.

Remove ads