Pathfinder 1E Are people still playing Pathfinder 1e?

Ironically, I wouldn't run PF1e on a bet (too similar to D&D3e which taught me that it was essentially unrunable at higher levels) but I feel like I could do it with PF2e. I honestly get the feeling its harder on a player than a GM in many ways.
In our current PF1 campaign the PCs are now 16th level. Most of our campaigns get that far, or further. So it can be done.

On the other hand, the amount of mind-caulk involved (re-stating monsters on the fly, throwing out stuff that's more trouble than it's worth and generally weaving around all the pot-holes) means we might actually be proving your point.

Second session of our Wrath of the Righteous game in the books last night. I don’t know that I’ll run the whole AP but I did promise the players I’d run through at least the end of the Sword of Valor module (9th level or so).

If it’s going well I may go ahead and run the third adventure as well. I’ve got other games whispering my name though.

Thomas Shey

Legend
In our current PF1 campaign the PCs are now 16th level. Most of our campaigns get that far, or further. So it can be done.

On the other hand, the amount of mind-caulk involved (re-stating monsters on the fly, throwing out stuff that's more trouble than it's worth and generally weaving around all the pot-holes) means we might actually be proving your point.

Again, this was D&D 3.5 but nothing tells me PF1e was different here: higher level opponents tend to have too many special case moving parts (spells, feats, special abilities, sometimes magic items) for me. I have no issues with complexity, but I'm not a fan of exception based design in the first place, and beyond a certain point its just prohibitive.
PF2e stripped a lot of that off of monsters and NPCs. Its (sometimes snidely) referred in some places as the 4e solution, and while I'm not intrinsically a fan of treating NPCs and PCs differently mechanically, at higher levels in a game like either version of PF with a lot of moving distinct parts its a virtual necessity as a GM as far as I'm concerned.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
We've been playing Pathfinder 1st since it launched and for me, it's arguably my favourite fantasy RPG. However, I really dislike the 2nd edition of the game even though we had a good couple practice sessions with it a month or so ago. Pathfinder took what worked so well with 3rd edition D&D and improved on about 80% of it.

My group and I are feeling that it has gotten a bit long in the tooth now and looking for something a little less crunchy. When you start to need a program like Herolab to do the maths for you, it's gone a bit far.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I had not jumped into Starfinder because im a Traveller guy. However, my PF1 group wanted to try it out so making a Vanguard PC right now. I can see where the ideas for PF2 were tested.

Ran session three of my WotR redux. We’ll finish The Worldwound Incursion next week. I’d kind of forgotten what it’s like to move from room to room and the grind. I’ll be making changes. That said it’s been quite fun playing with the PF1 rules again.

I’ve been buying up SF1 hardbacks before they all disappear. I’ve tried to make PF2 work for me extensively and failed. I have no desire to try a SF2.

Remove ads