Any mana ("spell point") systems around?

Geoff Watson

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:
You could always have spells inflict subdual damage on the caster based on spell level.

The problem with that sort of system is healing magic. It is usually very easy to recover subdual damage.

Geoff.

Oni

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:
You could always have spells inflict subdual damage on the caster based on spell level.

Here is just such a class that I wrote. I never really got the chance to playtest it too extensively so there are kinks, the #1 being the descrepency in powerlevel between higher and lower stats. One solution I had considered that is not in this draft is making the HD 1d4+1 as to lower the ratio between higher and lower stats statistically speaking, also the extra oomph seemed to be needed as their spellcasting was so strongly linked to their current HP that little extra powerboost seemed like an idea, the one complaint I've actually seem more than once is that the class is too weak. Anyway judge for yourself, and let me know what you think.

http://personal.rmc.edu/~jcpugh/Channeller.html

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Psionicist said:
Jack Haggerty: Heh, my system does EXACTLY that. How did you know :)

Because that's essentially how Star Wars magic (Force) works.

Psionicist said:
It is a very balanced system because of the DM control over the characters HP. I have also some logical restrictions on why you can't level up as barbarian to get more HP = more spells... Oh well...

Why not? You get more spells, but you'd be losing spell power... Seems like a fair trade to me.

Originally posted by Geoff Watson
The problem with that sort of system is healing magic. It is usually very easy to recover subdual damage.

I'm not sure what you mean... You heal subdual as 1 point per character level per hour. As far as I know, there is know way to magically heal subdual damage... only hit points.

Besides, don't forget that when your remaining hit points equal your subdual damage, you fall unconscious and you're helpless. How much subdual damage do you think a typical wizard will risk when casting spells?

And it also depends on how much subdual damage the spells do.

Last edited:

Jack Haggerty

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:
As far as I know, there is know way to magically heal subdual damage... only hit points.

My mistake.

From the SRD... "When a spell or a magical power cures hit point damage, it also removes an equal amount of subdual damage, if any."

But still... Even though the Wizard may be able to cast more spells, the is the added risk of becomig Staggered or Unconscious in the middle of battle.

Oni

First Post
Jack Haggerty said:
Why not? You get more spells, but you'd be losing spell power... Seems like a fair trade to me.

Actually its not quite fair when you compare it to what happens when you multiclass with the standard classes. If a person is playing a sorcerer or a wizard as per the PHB and they multiclass to say a barbarian, they only gain the benefits for leveling up as a barbarian, their spellcasting ability doesn't improve any. If you have a subdual damage based system then when the character takes a level in barbarian they not only gain all the benefits from gaining a level in barbarian they also gain an increase in the amount of spells they can cast a day, it provides them with a double benefit. This is another of the unresolved issues I've had with creating a subdual damage system. It really doesn't matter what they multiclass to, as they will gain the ability to cast a little more based on the HP increase, but with the slot system there would have been no benefit.

Remove ads