Any mana ("spell point") systems around?

~Joseph~

First Post
use the system from PsHB and convert it to arcane spells. I think it's something like cost = spell level x 2 - 1, 0lvl count as one, or something like that. Don't take my word for it

Bonedagger

First Post
I can remember one from D&D 2nd Ed. players option... Think they where called Channellers. They regained % of their points per hour based on how much they relaxed.

If I remember right the value per spellslot was something like this:

1st = 4 points
2nd = 6 points
3rd = 10 points
4th = 15 points
5th = 22 points.....

They also became fatigued from casting and to much intense casting would give them penalties on their physical actions.... You'll have to look it up for the rest.

Amazing how much useless stuff one can remember...

Sammael

Adventurer
I made a what I thought was a carefully balanced spell point system. After playing it for a while, it became obvious that mid-level casters became way too powerful, and I decided to go back to good old memorization.

A word of advice: if you do use spell points, keep the spells with affixed metamagic feats as being x levels higher, and keep the max spell level limit. Otherwise, you'll end up with 5th level wizards casting quickened haste (like I did). And to remember that I thought that +200% spell points for Quicken Spell was too much...

bensei

First Post
The Umbragia setting has a new class (just some months old :cool: ), the Mage, which combines the Sorcerer and the Wizard and casts spells with a manna point system.
(The new Bard - called Minstrel - does the same)

It can be found in 'Liber Veneficum' on the Umbragia Page (free PDF-Download).

Last edited:

Psionicist

Explorer
Jack Haggerty: Heh, my system does EXACTLY that. How did you know :)

It is a very balanced system because of the DM control over the characters HP. I have also some logical restrictions on why you can't level up as barbarian to get more HP = more spells... Oh well...

Remove ads