Splitting Up Monsters

Cleon

Legend
Hmmm, so I read through our entire discussion of the clockwork warrior golems. We did discuss height and weight for the lesser version, but not actually size category as far as I could see. So we could certainly go to Medium, but we'd need to revise AC, attack bonus, and advancement.

Or we can just use the reduced height of 3 ft and correspondingly lower weight. What do you prefer?

Well we cleared the Small-sized stats for Homebrews and it would be easier keeping the stats as-is and tweaking the height/weight.

The original stats do have the "Small Clockwork Warrior" 4 ft tall and Medium sized, and it is also considerably stronger than the existing conversion at Str 21. Come to think of it, the 3E conversion's heavy pick also does the damage of a medium sized weapon (d6).

Hmm, I think I'd rather give it a size-boost to Medium and adjust the stats accordingly:

Golem, Clockwork Warrior, Lesser
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 4d10+20 (42 hp)
Armor Class: 18 (-1 Dex, +9 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Heavy pick +6 (1d6+4/×4) or slam +6 melee (1d10+3)
Full Attack: Heavy pick +6 (1d6+4/×4) or slam +6 melee (1d10+3)
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 9, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Advancement: 4-8 HD (Medium); 9-12 HD (Large)

Clockwork Powered (Ex): * * *

It is possible to rewind a lesser clockwork golem using a giant key, but this requires enormous strength (DC 25 Strength check for 1 round's worth of winding). A creature with a Strength of 20 or more can "take 20" to rewind the clockwork at the rate of 1 round duration per 2 minutes of rewinding.

Reflexive Sunder (Ex): The armor plates and gears that make up a lesser clockwork warrior constantly shift and rotate around each other in combat, creating a grinding sound like scores of millstones crushing gravel. Anyone who strikes the warrior with a melee weapon must succeed at a DC 11 Reflex save or the armor plates crush the weapon for 1d6+3 points of damage; if it is a natural weapon, the attacker takes the damage instead. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'll agree to that, though I'm not so sure about the need to increase the Str check. Well, in the interest of getting these done today, I'll go ahead with it.

Updated.

Cleon

Legend
I'll agree to that, though I'm not so sure about the need to increase the Str check. Well, in the interest of getting these done today, I'll go ahead with it.

It's just for consistency. The "winding Strength" is the Golem's Strength +3.

Hold on a second, I was going to suggest another slight tweak. The Lesser version doesn't seem very "hulking", being dwarf sized and all, so I suggest modifying the description to:

This squat black-iron creature is shaped like an armored warrior, or rather like an empty suit of full plate. Its body is as short and thickly proportioned as a dwarf. A constant humming and clicking like countless gears and levers sounds from its body.

Remove ads