Special Conversion Thread: Moldvay's Undead

Shade

Monster Junkie
Here's one...

Pack Tactics (Ex): When two or more night dragons flank an opponent, they receive double the normal bonus on attack rolls (+4), and can flank creatures that cannot normally be flanked (due to greater uncanny dodge, all-around vision, etc.) Additionally, a night dragon flanking an opponent deals an additonal +1d6 points of damage for each night dragon within 30 feet.

Cleon

Legend
Let's think about pack attacking. I know we've done something similar before, but I'm getting tired and don't remember what.

Here's one...

Pack Tactics (Ex): When two or more night dragons flank an opponent, they receive double the normal bonus on attack rolls (+4), and can flank creatures that cannot normally be flanked (due to greater uncanny dodge, all-around vision, etc.) Additionally, a night dragon flanking an opponent deals an additonal +1d6 points of damage for each night dragon within 30 feet.

I was thinking of the Pack Spider conversion we did, but that doesn't seem a very good fit.

Since they use it to tip over boats, it seems more like a way to increase their Strength checks. We could just make it a Capsize Boat extraordinary attack (Str check at DC X, with a +Y bonus per additional silkie aiding), but upon reflection I would prefer a "Pack Tactics" like the above AND a Capsize Boat SA.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, that seems the best course of action.

I'd be happy to drop the "Pack Tactics" and just give them a Capsize Boat special attack.

Something like:

Capsize Boat (Ex): Silkies in seal form can capsize boats. The silkie must succeed at a Strength check against a DC of (15 + length of boat in feet?) to tip the boat over. For each additional silkie aiding the capsize attempt add a +2 bonus on the Strength check (max +20). Any unsecured occupants or cargo in a capsized boat ends up in the water.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'll go with that, since it fits the original text better. However, this is basically Aid Another, right? Also,

Unlike other lycanthropes, Silkie can only change into seals by donning a magical seal skin. Any individual who captures a Silkie seal skin can force that Silkie to do his bidding. A controlled Silkie cannot lie to its master and will perform any reasonable service or promise any reasonable ransom for the return of his seal skin (without which he cannot dive deep enough to reach Land Under Wave). As long as the captor continues to act honorably, the Silkie will faithfully fulfill its part of the bargain. Any dishonorable or treacherous act on the captor’s part frees the Silkie from obligation.

A captive Silkie is under magical geas not to use its spells against its captor. The geas holds only so long as the captor’s actions remain honorable with respect to the Silkie. The elder Silkie have much more powerful spells, particularly sea magic and weather magic, but they venture out of Land Under Wave only on extreme occasions and are encountered very rarely.

How shall we do the seal skin? Borrow from that tiger lycanthrope with the skin we did earlier (what were those called?)?

And how about the captivity bit?

Cleon

Legend
I'll go with that, since it fits the original text better. However, this is basically Aid Another, right? Also,

Yes, a slightly improved Aid Another is what I was going for.

How shall we do the seal skin? Borrow from that tiger lycanthrope with the skin we did earlier (what were those called?)?

If I remember correctly, that was a variant weretiger we did for a Chinese Vampire conversion we did. The vampire threw a tiger-skin over a victim and they were cursed to become its weretiger slaves.

I don't think there's much we can use from that.

Basically, we need to add some stuff to its Alternate Form SQ about how it can only assume seal form with its enchanted sealskin.

And how about the captivity bit?

How about if the Silkie was barred from attacking someone who'd stolen its skin unless they attacked first (à la sanctuary), plus they had some penalty to resist Charisma-based skills and enchantment/charm spells performed by the skin-thief.

freyar

Not sure how we've missed replying to this.

Why don't you just have Capsize without the multiple silkies bit and then call out Aid Another in tactics? Seems more sensible.

I think I can agree to the sealskin addition to Alternate Form as long as we add that the sealskin does nothing for a non-silkie. Well, except the captivity bit. I like that idea!

Cleon

Legend
Not sure how we've missed replying to this.

Why don't you just have Capsize without the multiple silkies bit and then call out Aid Another in tactics? Seems more sensible.

It seemed more sensible to me to have everything in the same place. :)

I think I can agree to the sealskin addition to Alternate Form as long as we add that the sealskin does nothing for a non-silkie. Well, except the captivity bit. I like that idea!

It might be easier to divide it into two Special Qualities, e.g. an "Alternate Form" for the shapechanging and a "skinbound" for the being beholden to a mortal who steals their skin.

Another thing to consider is what happens if the skin is destroyed - does this kill the silkie, or can it get a knew one by returning to the Land Under Waves?

freyar

If you're keeping it in the same place, then, how about

Capsize Boat (Ex): Silkies in seal form can capsize boats. The silkie must succeed at a Strength check against a DC of (15 + length of boat in feet?) to tip the boat over. Silkies often use Aid Another actions when attempting to capsize a boat. Any unsecured occupants or cargo in a capsized boat ends up in the water.

We should probably also look up DCs from similar abilities.

EDIT: I agree with splitting the two abilities and just mentioning the skin in alternate form. I'd let a silkie go make a new magic skin in Land Under Wave, assuming it can get back. Probably an expensive ritual, though.

Last edited:

Remove ads