Special Conversion Thread: Moldvay's Undead

Shade

Monster Junkie
Anyone else find it odd that CG fey keep slaves? I can see getting around the good part in some way if they were lawful and saw it as an exchange (maybe :confused:), but since they're also chaotic???

Yeah, I don't like it. How about "usually chaotic" for the alignment, and then DMs can choose to have good ones not take slaves.

EDIT: cross-posted with Cleon. Let's do both SLAs and sorcerer casting.

Agreed.

We could make both forms aquatic and amphibious. But that still doesn't help with the slaves I guess...

Give 'em water breathing as a SLA to use on its slaves.

For summoning, we could just stick to the SRD porpoise (maybe quite a few of them), but I wouldn't be opposed to allowing them to summon an SRD orca or two instead. For the empathy, I'd definitely go with all marine mammals, though.

Agreed with all that.

Cleon

Legend
Yeah, I don't like it. How about "usually chaotic" for the alignment, and then DMs can choose to have good ones not take slaves.

How about "Usually chaotic, often good?"

Give 'em water breathing as a SLA to use on its slaves.

With Aquatic/Amphibious? That'd be OK by me.

Hold on, it specifically says they can only dive deep enough to The Land Under the Waves in seal form. That implies only the seal form has Aquatic and/or water breathing.

Agreed with all that.

I'll Update the working draft.

EDIT: Updated.

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
For the summon porpoises trick we could just go for a summon spell approach, e.g.:

Summon Porpoises (Sp): Once a day, a silkie can summon 1d4+1 porpoises as if it cast summon nature's ally III.

I'd prefer a version modelled on a Vampire's Children of the Night SA, though:

Children of the Sea (Su): Once per day, a selkie can call forth a pod of 2d4+1 porpoises as a standard action. These marine mammal allies arrive in 2d6 rounds and aid the selkie for up to 1 hour.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Except, oddly, seals are not aquatic in the sense that they can't breathe water. Check out the porpoise and the whales in the SRD. Maybe we should give the seal form Hold Breath like the SRD critters since "Land under Wave" has some air pocket around it. Maybe the mythal or whatever that powers the air dome lets them carry the servants down. Or maybe they often learn water breathing, not as an SLA, but as a sorc spell. I guess I like that last.

Edit: I like the Su summons better, too. And, like I said, I'm ok with adding 1 or 2 orcas as an option.

Cleon

Legend
Except, oddly, seals are not aquatic in the sense that they can't breathe water. Check out the porpoise and the whales in the SRD. Maybe we should give the seal form Hold Breath like the SRD critters since "Land under Wave" has some air pocket around it. Maybe the mythal or whatever that powers the air dome lets them carry the servants down. Or maybe they often learn water breathing, not as an SLA, but as a sorc spell. I guess I like that last.

Yes, didn't I mention that problem earlier?

My preferred solution would be to give the "seal form" water breathing as a Sp ability, so the Silkie just casts it on itself.

I'd be OK with Hold Breath, but if the Land Under Wave is at the bottom of the sea it'll need a very high Con multiplier to be able to dive that deep.

Edit: I like the Su summons better, too. And, like I said, I'm ok with adding 1 or 2 orcas as an option.

Apart from the fact some orcas eat seals and dolphins, they seem too powerful. It takes a summon nature's ally V spell to conjure a single SRD Orca.

Besides, the original version could only porpoisely summon dolphins.

Oh, and as I said earlier are their 3E edition stats for seals anywhere?

For that matter, is this article the only source for AD&D stats for seals?

freyar

I seal what you're doing with that porpoise! :p Ok, I can drop the orcas for flavor reasons.

I think I prefer hold breath but keep water breathing as a common spell for capturing servants.

Cleon

Legend
I seal what you're doing with that porpoise! :p Ok, I can drop the orcas for flavor reasons.

So do you prefer summon porpoises or children of the sea?

I like the latter.

I think I prefer hold breath but keep water breathing as a common spell for capturing servants.

That's OK by me. I've stuck Hold Breath in the seal-form of the working draft, and cut out its Aquatic subtype and water breathing.

8 times Con for Hold Breath seemed appropriate, the same as a whale, since they need to dive deep.

freyar

Let's think about pack attacking. I know we've done something similar before, but I'm getting tired and don't remember what.

Remove ads