Special Conversion Thread: Moldvay's Undead

Cleon

Legend
In that case, I suppose we're finished with this monster, this thread.

Just to check, does Drac's +8 turn resistance include the bonus from his darkskull? Shouldn't it have an "Adjusted by magic items" asterisk next to it, e.g. "+8*".

Since the original Moldvay version's turned as a special, I'm thinking he ought to be higher than the SRD Vampire's +4. The Greater Vampire conversions on Enworld has +6 turn resistance for a Vampire Lord plus the following SQs for the Prince and Arch-Prince:

Improved Turn Resistance (Ex): A prince cannot be commanded (but can still be rebuked or turned).

Improved Turn Resistance (Ex): An arch-prince cannot be commanded or rebuked (but can still be turned).

I'd like Vlad to have a +6 turn resistance with one or the other of the above improvements.

With a darkskull, that would give Drac a +10* turn resistance. :devil:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Hmm, +6 turn resistance and the arch-prince's SQ appeal.

On the saraph, I'm not opposed to doing an "enhanced sollux" for them. But do they belong in an undead thread?

Cleon

Legend
Hmm, +6 turn resistance and the arch-prince's SQ appeal.

On the saraph, I'm not opposed to doing an "enhanced sollux" for them. But do they belong in an undead thread?

Well we've already been talked about a few of Moldvay's spirits on this, so it was just an extension of that.

I'd be happy moving it to the Dragon Mag conversions if you'd rather.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I like the suggestions for Dracula. Updated.

I'd rather not do a separate saraph conversion for the CC, though, unless we make them true 10-HD genies and not "hominids with class levels". The SLAs are a better fit that way, and makes for a unique creature. I'd also like to cut out all references to the "Brothers of the Sun", since that is tied to the sollux. Since this thread is effectively dead, converting it here is fine.

Cleon

Legend
I like the suggestions for Dracula. Updated.

I think Dracs is done then.

I'd rather not do a separate saraph conversion for the CC, though, unless we make them true 10-HD genies and not "hominids with class levels". The SLAs are a better fit that way, and makes for a unique creature. I'd also like to cut out all references to the "Brothers of the Sun", since that is tied to the sollux. Since this thread is effectively dead, converting it here is fine.

As I said earlier I've already done a homebrew conversion of the Saraphs, but I'd be interested to see an alternative take on it.

Although it might not be that alternative, since 10 Hit Dice Outsider is what I went for too.:)

Shade

Monster Junkie
Modifying from an efreet...

Genie, Saraph
Medium Outsider (Extraplanar, Fire)
Hit Dice: 10d8+20 (65 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, +3 natural, +5 +1 scale mail), touch 13, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+14
Attack: Flame tongue +15 melee (1d8+7/19-20 plus 1d6 fire and an additional 1d10 fire on a critical hit) or +1 dagger +15 ranged (1d4+5/19-20)
Full Attack: Flame tongue +15/+10 melee (1d8+7/19-20 plus 1d6 fire and an additional 1d10 fire on a critical hit) or +1 dagger +15 ranged (1d4+5/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Saraph armaments, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Changes shape, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire, plane shift, telepathy 100 ft., vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +11, Will +9
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 15
Skills: 9 at 13 ranks
Feats: Improved Initiative (B), 4 more
Environment: Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization: Solitary, company (2–4), or band (6–15)
Challenge Rating: x
Treasure: Standard coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always lawful, never evil?
Advancement: 11–15 HD (Medium); 16–30 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

Change Shape (Su): A saraph can assume the form of any Small, Medium, or Large humanoid or giant.

Plane Shift (Sp): A genie can enter any of the elemental planes, the Astral Plane, or the Material Plane. This ability transports the genie and up to eight other creatures, provided they all link hands with the genie. It is otherwise similar to the spell of the same name (caster level 13th).

Saraph Armaments (Ex): A saraph's weapons and armor are produced from a special copper-gold alloy attuned only to saraphs. When worn or wielded by a non-saraph, these items lose their magical properties.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—produce flame, pyrotechnics (DC 14); 1/day—burning hands, detect magic, dispel magic, fireball (DC 15), fire shield, see invisibility. Caster level 10th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Cleon

Legend
Seems a good start.

It's a bit lower-keyed then my version (I went a bit overboard, as usual :p).

The speed ought to be "20 ft. (4 squares) in scale mail armour, base speed 30 ft.".

Why the Change Shape? The original saraphs didn't have it. (They didn't have Plane Shift either, but that makes sense since they need some way to visit the prime material).

Shade

Monster Junkie
The speed ought to be "20 ft. (4 squares) in scale mail armour, base speed 30 ft.".

Good catch.

Why the Change Shape? The original saraphs didn't have it. (They didn't have Plane Shift either, but that makes sense since they need some way to visit the prime material).

It's a holdover from the efreet. I'll drop it.

Added to Homebrews.

Saraphs appear on the Physical Plane to track down and kill Efreeti.

Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival?

Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Track, Weapon Focus (longsword)?

Cleon

Legend
Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival?

Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Track, Weapon Focus (longsword)?

Those look good to me.

I didn't think of giving them Track in my conversion - guess that take on 'em will have to rely on allies to find those blasted Efreet. :)

Remove ads