• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Moldvay's Undead

Shade

Monster Junkie
Of those options Eyes in the Back of Your Head is my favourite.

I like it, too.

Any land, unless you want to stick the Aquatic subtype on him. :)

Aquaticula underbar? :p

That seems OK. 3-6 enslaved vampires and 5-30 dominated humanoids?

Sure.

That seems far too high frankly. That's one higher than a Solar, who would make mincemeat of Dracs.

Eyeballing his stats Dracula looks more like a CR 21.

I'm willing to go as low as 22. ;)

200 pounds?

Sure!

I don't much care for the Undercommon, but like the other languages.

Yeah, that's a better fit for Drowcula. (Sorry freyar!)

I was tempted by nobility & royalty but it seemed a bit niche. Still, he doesn't need 21 ranks in Ride or History, so how about rearranging the ranks:

Knowledge (history) 15, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 9, Knowledge (the planes) 6, Ride 12 ?

That gives him Ride +19, enough to hit DC20 all the time, which is all you need for any standard Ride check.

Sounds good.

Updated.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Even if he ganged up with his CR22 twin a SRD Solar would still make mincemeat of them both.

Solars are a bit under-CRed. He'd give a good fight to Geryon or the Hag Countess. Besides, if we CR him too low, people will "do the math" and realize that their generically-templated 18th-level vampire lord is weaker than Drac, but higher CRed. :(

At least he isn't Drzz'cula.

Ooh...great idea. Let's make a good version of him, with paired scimitars and lotsa angst! :p

Cleon

Legend
Solars are a bit under-CRed. He'd give a good fight to Geryon or the Hag Countess. Besides, if we CR him too low, people will "do the math" and realize that their generically-templated 18th-level vampire lord is weaker than Drac, but higher CRed. :(

Yes, the Solar is yet another example of a problematic CR.

22 Still seems too low for Dracs, but I guess I can live with it.

Ooh...great idea. Let's make a good version of him, with paired scimitars and lotsa angst! :p

Don't forget the extradimensional panther!

Cleon

Legend
In that case, I suppose we're finished with this monster, this thread.

Well there is one monster I'd like to talk about. I looked up the Saraphs and it differs slightly from the Sollux version of the Sun Brother - not much, but enough to make a difference.

Unlike the sollux, which are denizens of the Prime Material, the saraphs are native to the elemental plane of fire and have spell-like abilities. They also have a special metal which gains magical properties when used by saraphs.

I've already done my own version of the Saraphs as an 10 HD Extraplanar Outsider, but would you like to stat them up?

SARAPHS
Saraph (from the Hebrew, Shin, Resh, Pe—to burn or devour with fire)

FREQUENCY: Very Rare
NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: -1
MOVE: 9”
HIT DICE: 10
% IN LAIR: Nil
TREASURE TYPE: Nil
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3/2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1-8(+7)
SPECIAL ATTACKS: +4 to hit
SPECIAL DEFENSES: See below
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Standard
INTELLIGENCE: Very
ALIGNMENT: Neutral (tending toward Lawful Good)
SIZE: M
PSIONIC ABILITY: Nil

Saraphs are a hominid race which lives on the Elemental Plane of Fire. They appear as seven-foot-tall, ruddy-skinned individuals with bright red hair and pink-irised eyes.

Within their homeland there is, presumably, a large variety of classes and types of Saraphs. Outside their home, however, one meets only members of the Brotherhood of the Sun. These warrior Lords wear a red surcoat with a flaming golden sun in its center, over a suit of scale mail which appears to be made from some cooper-gold alloy (though it is as strong as steel). The Saraphs’ helmets, greaves, and bracers are made from the same material, as is the longsword and dagger belted at their sides. The sun motif on a red field is repeated on their shields.

Since they come from a highly magical Plane, Saraphs’ armor and weapons acquire magical properties on the Physical Plane. Treat as Scale Mail +1, Shield +1, Sword +1 (Flame Tongue), and Dagger +1. The magical bonuses apply only when the armor and weapons are used by Saraphs.

Individuals of the Saraph race are generally larger than humans, and have quicker reflexes, coming from the Plane of Fire. As the Brothers of the Sun are chosen for maximum strength and dexterity, treat any brother as having 18/00 Strength and 18 Dexterity, with all appropriate bonuses.

Saraphs may cast the following spells once per day (as a 10th level Magic-User): Fireball, Fire Shield, Fire Charm, Burning Hands, Detect Magic, Detect Invisible, Dispel Magic. They can Produce Flame or cause Pyrotechnics as often as desired. Fire-based attacks do no damage on Saraphs if the fire is non-magical; magical fire attacks are at -1 on both “to hit” and damage dice.

The Saraphs are at war with the Efreeti. The war occasionally spills over to the Prime Material Plane since Saraphs hunt Efreeti through the Physical Plane and vice versa. The Efreeti have made an alliance with Fire Giants. Saraphs have countered this alliance with one between themselves and Golden Dragons.

The Brothers of the Sun are few in number, and, outside of the Plane of Fire, will always be encountered singly. Saraphs appear on the Physical Plane to track down and kill Efreeti. They also serve Gold Dragons who have aided the Saraph race in the past, often acting as treasure guards when the dragons are out feeding.

Saraphs have been known to contract service with high-level characters (particularly lawful good or neutral Magic-Users) in return for that character’s aid. Contracts will specify the length and nature of service for both parties. Note that such contracts depend solely on the good will of either side; service is a matter of conscience, not coercion.

Originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #42

Remove ads