Special Conversion Thread: Microscopic Monsters

Shade

Monster Junkie
It would be more complicated to type out, easier to use and keep track of.

OK, here's a compromise: make one statblock. But, let's state that it has 2 distinct forms, maybe an alternate form type ability. So it has some separate SAs and SQs in each form. I just don't like giving it both a slam and swarm attack at the same time. That doesn't make much sense to me; if it's solid enough to slam, it's not incoherent enough to swarm you the way we normally think of it.

Good idea. I favor this approach.

Cleon

Legend
It would be more complicated to type out, easier to use and keep track of.

OK, here's a compromise: make one statblock. But, let's state that it has 2 distinct forms, maybe an alternate form type ability. So it has some separate SAs and SQs in each form. I just don't like giving it both a slam and swarm attack at the same time. That doesn't make much sense to me; if it's solid enough to slam, it's not incoherent enough to swarm you the way we normally think of it.

Why? A wave can have impact enough to do damage while being fluid enough to engulf you. Have either of you seen the 80s remake of The Blob? That ooze didn't have any problems engulfing and lashing with a pseudopod at the same time!

But if it bothers you both, it's easy enough to write it up so it doesn't make Slam and Swarm attacks in the same round.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Why? A wave can have impact enough to do damage while being fluid enough to engulf you. Have either of you seen the 80s remake of The Blob? That ooze didn't have any problems engulfing and lashing with a pseudopod at the same time!

But if it bothers you both, it's easy enough to write it up so it doesn't make Slam and Swarm attacks in the same round.

I honestly have no problem with a slam and engulf in the same round...it's the "swarm attack" I find bothersome. Just give it good ol' engulf and I'm happy.

Cleon

Legend
I honestly have no problem with a slam and engulf in the same round...it's the "swarm attack" I find bothersome. Just give it good ol' engulf and I'm happy.

I suspect we're arguing about terminology here more than the actual mechanics.

How about this:

Attack: Slam (6d6+13 plus 6d6 acid)

Engulf (Ex): Protiston can simply mow down smaller creatures as a standard action. It can make a slam attack and an engulf attack in the same round as a full round action. Protiston merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make opportunity attacks against protiston, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC XX Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent's choice) as protiston moves forward. Engulfed creatures take 6d6+13 bludgeoning damage plus 6d6 acid damage, and are considered to be grappled and trapped within protiston's body. The save DC is Strength-based.

Engulfing Grab (Ex): To use this ability, protiston must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can attempt to engulf its opponent (see below) as a free action. Protiston can choose not to engulf an opponent if it wishes to, and can release a creature it has already engulfed (as a free action) if it needs to make room to engulf a new opponent. Protiston has a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks (already figured into the Base Attack/Grapple entry above).

Swarmlike (Ex): Protiston, like all slime molds, is not truly a single creature but is a cooperative of myriads of amoeba-like creatures. As such, it has some of the traits of a swarm. Unlike other creatures whose space occupies more than one square, protiston is shapeable. It can occupy any contiguous squares, and it can squeeze through any space large enough to contain Tiny creatures. It can occupy the same space as a creature of any size, since it crawls all over its prey.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I like it except for "It can make a slam attack and an engulf attack in the same round as a full round action." Why should its engulf be more powerful than a gelatinous cube's (for example)?

Cleon

Legend
I like it except for "It can make a slam attack and an engulf attack in the same round as a full round action." Why should its engulf be more powerful than a gelatinous cube's (for example)?

Because it's PROTISTON THE MIGHTY!

If it can control its body when split into multiple sections, it ought to be able to coordinate a pseudopod blow while flowing over its enemies.

Remove ads